ZoneMinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I talk quite a bit about the server I have setup. Have had a couple people comment but most don't see a point to it. I use it for a lot more than just storage though that is a big advantage. Here in the last couple weeks I have started messing around with a few things and currently have A Docker system setup that is running a caching server for things like windows updates and game downloads. Syncthing which allows me to operate my own private cloud of devices that are syncronized together, basically I take a picture on a phone and it is uploaded to the server. PlexMediaServer which takes pictures, video, and music and puts it in one easy to use and access place. Tautulli which gives me even more information about what is going on in plex. Transmission which allows me to grab files and drop them directly on to the server for use. Nextcloud which I use for a centralized password DB that I control. A mumble server which is called Murmur and something I use from time to time to voice chat. And an OpenVPN endpoint so I can access my server securely from just about anywhere. And Zoneminder which is a camera monitoring software.

The one theme for everything above is it is free to download and use. Plex does have a paid version that adds a few more features and includes some apps but the rest are all pretty much open source and free to use.

I am just getting started with zoneminder and with the current install it is a little bit of a pain. Seems that on FreeNAS in a Jail it does not like to work with a password login but since I am not opening up ports to the system that honestly doesn't mean a ton. I can always tunnel in over the VPN if I want to. CPU usage is about 10% higher with it running and dealing with one camera but probably more efficient than a windows system running cam software. I believe that their main base either use Ubuntu or CentOS for the base OS but it seems to run under FreeNAS just fine.

Right now this is setup looking out a window but the image is really pretty good for the monitor function. It also works with my android web browser so no need to worry about installing an app to access unless you are running something from outside the network in which case a secure reverse proxy is in order and I may be setting up before I am out of town.

zoneminder.jpg
I know a lot of people on here look at the cost of ownership for something so hopefully this will help out with that a little bit. While I am running on enterprise grade hardware it's actually pretty cheap to get started outside of the drives. For instance https://www.ebay.com/itm/UXS-Server...259148?hash=item1ef094238c:g:lQkAAOSwBfJcsPst has enough horsepower to run everything I do and then some. A few years ago that server would cost around 5K easily. The cpu's alone were sold for around 1K the board is another 500 or so new and you add in the ram and the case and it gets pricey fast. The other issue is learning how to use the software but if you can do a few minor things and follow some guides it's not hard.

If Zoneminder alone is interesting and you have an old computer grab a copy of Ubuntu and set it up. Or grab RancherOS and install a docker container.

Another advantage with this is you are less reliant on hardware based camera setups and you are not tied to a single app and at their mercy to wait for a fix if something gets messed up. Open Source software has basically anyone who uses it to work on it and potentially make fixes.

Oh and the camera is a Reolink 420 image is 2560 X 1920 direct from the camera.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck I don't even have that new fangled interweb thing at home. I use my phone to browse the webs.

LOL, My house would look like a science experiment to you then. I actually had one person afraid to come in where I lived in lawton as he had a pacemaker.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should add that I actually have less stuff running now than I did ten years ago mainly because I can run multiple things on my server all at the same time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom