Heartland Match Oct 17th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree one gun per shooter for the match. Each gun takes 5-10 minutes of reset, make ready, and shoot time.

I would like to shoot a 2nd gun but I say we finish the main match first, tally scores, give out certificates and let everybody go home. Then the two gun guys can Ross in sn extra $10 spot and a shoot the last two stages over again and then backwards if time allows. I'd probably shoot my competition gun in the 2nd match if allowed.

ps I dont want to pick up brass during the match but I'd be happy to sweep it all up and take it home after the match.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending what the second gun is, it could take too long to swap the gear over. I don't want someone getting out of their taping duty because they're still changing guns over.

I'd rather focus on getting 32 shooters at the match instead of having second guns.

Jesse raises a point about the brassing. Ammo is expensive and so is brass. It makes sense that many folks would like to keep their brass. If we kept on top of it, it wouldn't take long at all to pick up.

Thoughts on the brass recovery duty?

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'd rather focus on getting 32 shooters at the match instead of having second guns.

Jesse raises a point about the brassing. ... Thoughts on the brass recovery duty?

Not a fan, but I'll play nicely with others; it'd help if the expectation of brass pickup is made clear at shooter briefing.. Most of the matches I've been to (in Oklahoma), the reloaders took care of themselves. Shoot their stage, reload mags during the next shooter and recover brass during the next shooter.

One match I've been at, several folks in the squad had pinchers on a stick (all seniors, super seniors, and/or smart) (link) and net bag/coffee can on a stick. While half the squad went forward to score/tape/reset, they collected the brass. By the time the next shooter was making ready, all the brass was consolidated at the back table to go in the shooter's brass bag. (outdoor range)

At another match (also an outdoor range), the RO calls out, "A is the shooter, B on deck, C brass, D-E-F tape/reset" and it was very clear who was responsible for what.

I don't reload yet (yeah, yeah, I know, I know), so I'll let Jesse collect my brass for me (indoor range, sweep it up). When I do recover brass to reload, I get one of those stick grabber thingies. Note to self: also conspicuously mark brass for easy identification.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At another match (also an outdoor range), the RO calls out, "A is the shooter, B on deck, C brass, D-E-F tape/reset" and it was very clear who was responsible for what.

This is exactly what I detailed a few posts ago, only that the brasser was the last shooter called out. That's because I don't want to be scrounging brass when I'm "in the hole."

That said, if folks haven't had a problem with how the brass has been done at this match, then perhaps it's a non-issue.

Maybe just call for a sweeper to make sure nothing gets in the way of the next shooter.

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incidentally and on a more positive note-I had a ton of fun shooting the snubby at the match. ...Totally converted now! Hooray. :)
Stage gun, unloaded in briefcase. 6 rounds loose (or loaded speedloader) on table. Primary pistol unloaded in holster. Beep.

Or stage gun pointed downrange on table, six in the cylinder. Beep. Hint, hint. :rubhands:

Introduce some discomfort, and provide an opportunity to challenge it. :D

If people don't care for the ROs, we can certainly decline to participate in that manner. It would certainly give us more time to prepare to shoot if we weren't ROing/scoring.

+1

The last match I shot (not in OKC), I get to the stage and was the RO for that group of shooters. :uhwhat:? Am I the most qualified one there?!? :eek:

To keep the match going safely, people need to step up to get things done. If not, the match goes really really slowly (or not at all).

I finished the stage reasonably competently, but I would have liked to have more time to figure out my stage plan (instead of 30-45 seconds in between each shooter). But it's not always just about me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom