Help a newbie pick a home defense revolver.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several folks have answered your original question by suggesting a S&W Model 10 (or similar revolver) with a 4" barrel - I strongly second those recommendations.
I have a collection of pistols and revolvers and yet for my basic home protection "night stand" gun I think the Model 10 (or similar) is ideal.
- It is reliable, packs a considerable punch with .38 spl, is actually fun to use at the range, unlike many snub nose revolvers, is easy to be reasonably accurate with, and is exceedingly simple for that surprise 3 A.M. shattered glass awakening.

Also right now you can get good police trade-ins from Bud's Gun Shop for $269.00 delivered. You can also find many available on Gun Broker or many other places.

I am not saying other guns won't work, I am just saying that given your own lack of experience and stated goal the Model 10 seems like a really good match for you.

Good Luck.

B

Bill Mac

I have not been to Sooner State Pawn yet but intend to the next chance that I get. Their ad directly to the right states $10 transfers. The last one that I did was about $35 I think but was a percentage of the purchase price as I recall with Savage Trading Company in Yukon on NW 10th. Sooner State Pawn will be a good resource on what might work for your needs. I am partial to Rugers and love the GP100s and SP101s though they would exceed your 3 bill criteria unless you find a good used one. Personally, I would go with a .357 since you can shoot .38s for practice if needed for familiarization with the gun's workings until you get to the .357 for SD practice. They would also aid the Mrs. in a tight spot using the .38 loads if she had to. I agree with those who have gravitated toward a shotgun as well.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no reason not to go with a quality semi-auto that has no external safety. You keep a round chambered, pick it up and fire it just like a revolver, but the trigger is better and it holds more ammunition. Glocks can often be had used at a very low price via online purchase at Gunbroker.com, Summitgunbroker.com, J&G sales, Bud's Gun Shop, and other sites. S&W M&P is a good choice too, but the market isn't flooded with them as it is with Glocks, and so their resale value tends to be higher.

Latest posts

Top Bottom