Help a newbie pick a home defense revolver.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good double action revolver, like a S&W Model 10, or other K-frame .38 Special would do. I'd suggest a 4" barrel over a 2" or 5-6". Cost for a sound used one will run in the 3 bills plus range. The Ruger Security Six and Service Six also show up on the used market occasionally; they are very durable.

Lots to be said for a used LE Glock, preferably a 19 or a 17 (both 9mm). They are almost as simple to operate as a double action revolver. As a plus, they hold 2-3X the ammo in the gun. They go for 4 bills or a little more.

The Glock 23 or 22 is also on the used LE market for about the same price. The 40 S&W cartridge has more high percentile stopping power choices out there than the 9mm. However, the 40 S&W is a good bit more expensive to practice with over the 9mm. There are a few very good stoppers available in the 9mm range of ammo offerings.

If it looks like "Bubba" has been a tinkerin' in the used gun you find to consider, then go find one that he hasn't touched. The typical used LE gun will show some (or considerable) carry wear but likely will be mechanically sound. A used LE gun with bright night sights is always a plus. I'm not particularly fond of most used LE S&W semi-auto's. The 3913 is a notable exception.

Go give this thread a read http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?91784-Dr.-Gary-Roberts-Recommended-Ammo-List

Remember that any handgun round counts on proper shot placement for stopping effect. Not even a .44 Magnum will stop an evil doer, if you wing them in the tip of the thumb.

Lots to be said for a .223 carbine with specialized home defense ammo. You'll have to go read up on this. Things have changed markedly in the home defense feasibility of a carbine with this ammo. Cost for an AR-15, set up for home defense, will run perhaps 3X what you might pay for a used LE handgun.

A handgun is harder to shoot well, but is handier in the confines of small spaces of a home. The .223 carbine is easier to shoot well, but is more prone to being snatched away or hung up in very tight spaces. You know your home defense situation better than any of us. Generally you'll want to call LE to come deal with a perpetrator problem. The gun you'll own will be for the situation where they cannot be available quickly enough.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it looks like "Bubba" has been a tinkerin' in the used gun you find to consider, then go find one that he hasn't touched. The typical used LE gun will show some (or considerable) carry wear but likely will be mechanically sound.

I am keen on used guns but I guess "Bubba" is what I am concerned with - It's still less scary than buying a used car, though. I like the idea of the LE trade in guns a lot and have been researching what is out there incessantly.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it looks like "Bubba" has been a tinkerin' in the used gun you find to consider, then go find one that he hasn't touched. The typical used LE gun will show some (or considerable) carry wear but likely will be mechanically sound.

I am keen on used guns but I guess "Bubba" is what I am concerned with - It's still less scary than buying a used car, though. I like the idea of the LE trade in guns a lot and have been researching what is out there incessantly.

+1 on the "Bubba" issue...for the most part.

If "Bubba" did some fine tunin' on the insides of a Glock, however, that's an easy (and relatively cheap) fix. As long as he didn't do anything to the slide or frame. Inside polymer parts and springs? Pssh! Easy fix for probably 30 - 40 bucks +/- (not including firing pin and extractor). You can get every internal part you need for a Glock from www.glockparts.com. And if you can't figure out how to change everything out, chances are, a Glock guy just down the road from you probably can. If not, call me. :phone:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if it's a real LE "city" gun, straight from a departmental trade-in deal, Bubba almost certainly hasn't been into it. Most bigger LE agencies are less than pleased (and take action) when someone, other than the departmental armorer, gets into one of their guns.

LE agencies don't wait until their guns are potential officer death traps to trade them in on something new. The used LE guns will usually have weakish night sights and moderate exterior wear. Some will have been fired for qualification only, so many have as few as maybe 250-1,000 rounds through them. Those are only broken in. Others will belong to officers who practiced a good bit, thus will have some mechanical wear and the gun will be in need of work to return to first class condition. I've yet to consider refinishing a used LE gun; I consider the exterior wear a sign of honest use.

The hand-me-down guns (i.e. one agency to another) will usually be more worn. The range-use/academy guns may have a lot of rounds through them.

I too have had good luck with more than one used LE guns, both revolver's and semi's, as far as being a functional tool. I've seen one used LE gun, a S&W Model 15 revolver, where some Officer Bubba had tried to fix a loose extractor rod. Bubba can do bad things to the frame recoil shield, with a cabinet screw driver, when he's trying to open a revolver with a loosened unscrewed extractor rod. Bet he's still writing reports about the mess he made.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can call and order a glock 22 2nd generation gun from Gtdist.com with 3 mags for $289, shipping puts you about $305. They may have some g17's, but the leo trade in g22's are pretty good deals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom