Help a newbie pick a home defense revolver.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum.

If you've never shot a gun in your life, you need to get some training. Gun safety is paramount. Many gun ranges rent guns.

For clarification - I have shot many guns in my life - I was basically raised with a .22 single shot rifle in hand and ran all over my granddad's ranch with it for most of my formative years. I have fired many rifles and I even got into black powder rifles (building and shooting) when my father was into that back in the 80's, but I was a kid then. My experience with handguns, however, is quite limited. My family was all about long guns.

What I was saying is that since it has been so long since I have shot with any regularity that I am approaching my purchases as if I had never handled a weapon before - taking a newbie approach to firearms in general and reacquainting myself with the sport and the tools. How is this for an example: The last time I fired a gun, there was no such thing as .17 HMR.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gregorius said:
I am leaning toward the revolver for simplicity and ease of use, primarily. I am personally not concerned about the learning curve for a semi-auto, but I want something my wife can pick up, point and shoot. If I were picking a gun just for myself I might go semi-auto.

I agree 100% with you. Just saying think about it. My wife had also not ever shot before, she came home one day in January and said she wanted a gun for home protection. She now has a Glock 26, and several other guns, and has no trouble racking it or shooting it. She is even waiting on here CC permit to come back. Like others have said, go to the range and try some of them out.

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ok, I have questions about online sales, too. I have looked at lots of stuff online but I am not sure how that works. You just find a shop that is willing to do the transfer I assume? I expect nobody does that out of kindness, so what do shops usually charge for such a service? I don't have a gun shop that I have built a relationship with - my father was a loyal southwest shooters customer but they are gone now. H&H is closest to me, but I have heard mixed things about them. To be fair, I have heard mixed reviews of most of the gun shops in town.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking at revolvers don't overlook Ruger.

A GP100 would work fit your description and if you ever wanted to get your CCW permit you could start out with a LCR or SP101 and carry that later.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for transfers try steve at cold hand arms...he used to do transfers for board members for free...not sure if he still does...worth asking him

Latest posts

Top Bottom