Help a newbie pick a home defense revolver.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For VIP Members.

Wondered how that deal was still going...

And gregorius, I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a transfer, and many of the board sponsors will do them for less than that IIRC.

Free and/or cheap transfers are nice, but I never had a problem paying the $25. I looked at it like this, take a $300 gun. If you buy it for $300, you pay shipping, ~$25, then $25 transfer fee. If the dealer buys it themselves, and sells it for a profit, you're likely looking at paying 10-15% higher than private party prices, so figure $350, then add ~10% tax, so you're looking at $385 for that same gun. Saves you $35, local FFL makes $25, and doesn't have capital tied up in it. Higher priced items it saves you even more, but the dealer doesn't fare so well.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For clarification - I have shot many guns in my life - I was basically raised with a .22 single shot rifle in hand and ran all over my granddad's ranch with it for most of my formative years. I have fired many rifles and I even got into black powder rifles (building and shooting) when my father was into that back in the 80's, but I was a kid then. My experience with handguns, however, is quite limited. My family was all about long guns.

What I was saying is that since it has been so long since I have shot with any regularity that I am approaching my purchases as if I had never handled a weapon before - taking a newbie approach to firearms in general and reacquainting myself with the sport and the tools. How is this for an example: The last time I fired a gun, there was no such thing as .17 HMR.

My bad. I didn't see the "as if" part of your original post. What's a .17 HMR? :gun2:

And, yes, you can get a Model 10 on Buds for $269. Looks like those are a hit-or-miss deal. There are several websites that have good deals on 10s.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For VIP Members.

its a VIP item, no such animal as VIP member only.

VIP product means it is in limited supply and they will not hold it like on a new gun, and once its out it is out.

I beg to differ.

You must be a VIP member to get the gun at that price.

"This Item is Currently Reserved for our VIP Members" - Bud's VIP

One year cost $24.95.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about this, 45LC. This is a proven man stopper. One very good reason for a revolver Piston, all you have to do is pick it up and start shooting. That is very helpful in a stressful situation, and it does not matter what semi you have. You are only guaranteed one shot. I know with the better semi's that is less likely to happen, but it can happen.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd check Armslist too. Depending on the level of shooting you plan on doing, there are some older models from different companies that pop up on there from time to time. Saw one the other day for a Llama .38 for like $230. While it is not the same class as a Smith or even a Taurus, it should serve you well if you don't fire lots and lots of rounds. It's not my ad, so whatever floats your boat, I'm not pushing that gun, but for occasional use and just to stick in the night stand, something like that should be ok. Just get it checked out prior to relying on it for serious defense use...

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been frequenting Armslist. I figure one of these days soon at a shop or online I'll find something I can't pass up. Since I am just getting back into it, I am going to start with easy and cheap and shoot a .22 until I get back in to it - so something like the Llama or an Amscor would be on the short list for home defense, along with used guns. A buddy of mine swears by the Rossi Circuit Judge in 410/.45 long colt for home defense. It looks pretty awesome but I have no idea what to make of it. I had no idea such a thing existed until a couple of days ago.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why NOT a revolver? :ugh2:

Good old fashioned wheelguns were killin' folks long before the wondernines, bottom feeders, polymer kings and queens and Dick Tracy heaters ever showed up.

I prefer a good scattergun for home defense, but I wouldn't feel "outgunned" with a good ol' six-shooter neither. :thumb:

To the OP:

As for your desire for an old model 10, yeah there's a ton of 'em out there and most can be had for around three bills or less. Add another C-note to that and you can even sneak into the magnum class, if you shop around. ;)

I think I like this post more than any I've read in awhile. GED has a purdy mouth.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
surjimmy said:
How about this, 45LC. This is a proven man stopper. One very good reason for a revolver Piston, all you have to do is pick it up and start shooting. That is very helpful in a stressful situation, and it does not matter what semi you have. You are only guaranteed one shot. I know with the better semi's that is less likely to happen, but it can happen.

Not saying its a bad choice, just trying to help him think of options. Leave one in the chamber with the autos, still get the same result. I love the revolvers, LCR in .38 will be my next purchase, but my first defense at home is either the Glock 23,19 or the mossberg depending on what room I'm in. I have made several bad gun choices and just trying to pass along any options the OP has not thought about. In a panic situation I personally would rather have more rounds in my weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom