Help me identify this old S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an elderly neighbor who I have been helping with groceries, chores, etc. since COVID. She is in poor health and is having home healthcare come in a few times a week to help her with more personal matters. She gave me this S&W to hold onto because she doesn’t want it in the house while home health is there.
I don’t have any idea which model or anything else about it. Any help is appreciated!
D2AA6BA0-43AB-481D-87F1-C99560F8ED15.jpeg
E6B75ACC-8DB3-4057-ABF1-9CA7984ED347.jpeg
4A2A2E6D-46AB-4A2B-B421-FB9370DBAF19.jpeg
97C11409-83FD-477C-9867-61E7F097EE2E.jpeg
CC3F903A-AE5F-4496-9105-532735176AB0.jpeg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one identical to this one. Right down to the fugly grips. It should have a "V" in the serial number on the butt, and back of the cylinder. I don't know the exact history of these revolvers, other than they started out as a parkerized "Victory" model that Smith & Wesson produced in 1944/1945 for military sidearms, but alas, the war ended before they were shipped out. Hence, the Victory name.

The story I heard, was that most of these revolvers were plated in nickel and sent to the US Air Force and others went to the civilian market. You can tell the nickel finish was done post factory, because the trigger and hammer is also nickeled. On a factory S&W nickel finish, the trigger and hammer is case hardened.

My father purchased one for $36 in 1960 from a feller they called Hog Epperley, who owned a diner/coffee shop in his home town. It's a K frame Military & Police 6 shot revolver chambered in .38 Special...basically a pre model 10.

Mine was given to me from my father before he died and it is one of my most prized possessions, even if it isn't worth much in dollars. Mine has a 4 inch barrel, while yours sports a 5 inch snout.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with GED. Have one for the wife with the 4 inch tube that she uses as a nightstand gun. Do not fire plus P loads in these, or at least I would not. Metal is just not as strong as modern revolvers in the same caliber. It might take them hundreds of times but they just are not rated for hot loads.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The barrel is indeed bulged. I’m not knowledgeable enough with old S&W revolvers to know whether or not the bulge should be there. I know in other guns, a bulge is definitely a bad thing. I looked down the barrel, it’s clear and seems to have good rifling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom