Help Me Value My Pre-Ban Norinco AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Sile, NY imported AKM-47S in 7.62x39 that I plan on listing this weekend. Bluing is 85-90% and the original wood furniture is in the same condition. Has minor scratches on the wood but all could be refinished if they bugged someone. Standard AK configuration 16” barrel, fixed stock, original cleaning rod. no original box, sling, bayonet, or paperwork with it.

Normally I would say a gun this nice would easy command $1,000 on gunbroker. However, the bolt carrier and bolt #s do NOT match the rest of the gun. The BC and bolt match each other, and the rest of the gun is #s matching (including the dust cover and recoil spring), but to me its a big deal not to have those 2 original parts. Whats weird is the bolt carrier is blued like should be on this particular model…and is rare for other AKs to have. Makes me wonder if a dealer swapped them out before it even sold??? The gun shoots/cycles/functions flawlessly and has been shot plenty. The bore is great but the gun isn’t exactly NIB. This would make an excellent shooter for someone that wanted a pre ban Chinese AK they aren’t afraid to go blasting with.

Im thinking $800-$850 is a decent price and my reasoning behind that is this…Its worth more than a post ban MAK90 that sells all day for $700-750. Even though its not numbers matching its still dang nice and you just don’t come across these every day.

So what do you folks think? Am I out of line with my evaluation?
PS: sorry for the crummy picture

Attachments

• 13090150_10101800831321831_908459870_n.jpg
    13090150_10101800831321831_908459870_n.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 454

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Siles imported these around 1984, and they are a mix match of AKM and Chinese parts. So the mixed serial numbers are correct, it happened with all of them.
They are a mix of Russian/Chinese parts. These were later called Type 56s. I couldn't tell from the picture, but does it have a bayonet lug or a place for a under barrel spiker bayonet?
It should have a spiker bayonet I believe. I seen some recently sold for $750-800 on AKfiles with box ect. The Chinese stuff has cooled off a lot since last year, guns were going for stupid prices.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold my Norinco 84s in 5.56 for $1,000, but it is more rare and was like new. Like Kyle said, it should have a bayonet lug and spiker bayonet. Siles imported most of these from about 1984 to 1986ish. They have been going "from what I have seen in the last few months" for around $800-850ish with the box in great shape.
It is hard to see much in the pic. I would say that it will still bring $700. You might get more from the right person.

You would probably never believe what I bought these for, before Slick Willy and his old bag of corruption wife saved America with her gun ban. I wish I would have bought crates of AKs, before I sent my FFL back.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has the bayo lug but no bayonet. Sold today for $850 to the second person i offered it to. I agree the chinese ak market doesnt seem as strong as it was last year but still plenty of people looking.

I definitely learned something thanks guys.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do find it hilarious that people went/going crazy over Norinco stuff. I've seen people paying stupid prices for post ban mak90s, and even norinco sks.. Had people tell me the Chinese sks was more valuable then the Russians. seems to be a fad.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea man thanks. in my head this gun had to command a premium over a mak-90. Youll see 100 maks to 1 of these. Im happy with how it turned out and appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
IMO, the mak-90 was junk. You could not give them away for years. Now people are trying to sell them as the king of AKs.
You did good.

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Siles imported these around 1984, and they are a mix match of AKM and Chinese parts. So the mixed serial numbers are correct, it happened with all of them.
They are a mix of Russian/Chinese parts. These were later called Type 56s. I couldn't tell from the picture, but does it have a bayonet lug or a place for a under barrel spiker bayonet?
It should have a spiker bayonet I believe. I seen some recently sold for $750-800 on AKfiles with box ect. The Chinese stuff has cooled off a lot since last year, guns were going for stupid prices.

I personally have only owned or seen Sile imports with all matching components. Maybe I have only seen later ones. If it was rust free 800 sounds to be on the low side!! Whether a pre 89 or Mac 90 the Chinese AK's are still the best out there to me with maybe the exception of pre 89 Mitchell imported Yugo"s.

The bolt and bolt carrier on my underfolder are blued with all matching serial numbers. I have only seen the blued carrier/bolt on Sile imports near the 89 cutoff.

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has the bayo lug but no bayonet. Sold today for $850 to the second person i offered it to. I agree the chinese ak market doesnt seem as strong as it was last year but still plenty of people looking.

I definitely learned something thanks guys.

I showed up late to this one, but I'm with Mike Sweeney: $850 was a good price for both of you; the Chinese rifles are in demand for many reasons; haven't been imported in 22 years, and their build quality (despite what people say) is as good as any AK on the market - with a better trigger and heavier-built receiver and barrel, and fantastic bluing that is much nicer than the "squid ink" paint Arsenal sprays on their $1000 and more rifles. Only flaw in yours was the mixed SNs; if not for that, yours would have been a $1000+ rifle. MAK90s are the same rifle that had to be neutered for our bedwetting government. I'd still take a pre-ban Chinese over most (but the Russian SKS is the gold standard of those rifles).

Latest posts

Top Bottom