Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My ignition switch has died on me, and my car is currently stranded. The diagram for by-passing seems simple enough that I'm gonna have a go at it after watching some vids on YouTube.

If somebody is knowledgeable enough to double check my logic circuit, I'd really appreciate it.
I've got 14g wire, a 20amp inline fuse, testing clips, and a "starter" push button 20amp temp switch.

As I understand the way this works, there is power coming off the positive terminal on the battery, going out to the starter. Then the ignition wire goes out to the ignition, where the circuit is completed when you turn the key to start.

So. Correct me if I'm wrong here. All I have to do is run positive from battery to switch, and then on to the ignition wire coming off the starter. Then ground out the other terminal on the switch...yeah? That'll close the circuit and juice the starter into kicking over, right?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WTF man.
You do not ground any wire.

Your starter should have a solenoid that is a relay and you apply positive voltage to it and the starter spins and the bendix kicks out to engage the flexplate/flywheel.

You will need positive voltage to the coil.
If it is Fuel Injected the computer comes into play.
So you will need voltage to acessories.

What kind of vehicle is this?

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still have power at the ignition with the key, it just doesn't engage the starter through the relay at the fuse block. I'm not arguing with you at all, just trying to understand.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see.
Good that you have power at the switch.
Your starter has a solenoid on it and you could try old school and arc across those terminals with a screwdriver and see if the starter spins.
I assume you checked to make sure the starter is bad.

I have ran a wire to the small terminal on my starters and then to the push button start.
That should be all you need to make it crank.
I like @Mr.Glock answer though.

I hate FI vehicles that fail.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have power to the ignition switch, use a remote starter (your push button) one wire to positive on starter or battery, the other to small terminal on solenoid on starter. With key in on position (which applies power to ecm) pushing the button should start the vehicle… check for power at the small terminal on solenoid when key is turned to start position. If you have power there then solenoid is bad. If no power switch is defective.

Latest posts

Top Bottom