Henry Big Boy Lever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I got the Henry today. Funny backstory that made me finally pull the trigger on it this morning.

Been wanting one of these 44 mag lever guns for some time. Really had heart set in a Win 1894 but they are spendy. My wife apparently has been struggling with gifts for me for Christmas. I've been also doing a lot of research on models of Benchmade knives and have explained they are great quality, very popular but are expensive. She saw me to a lot of searching around on BladeHQ website, etc. So this morning she was talking about and hinting at benchmade knives. Somehow I got out of here that she had one saved in the "cart". Managed to have her tell me it was the BM Narrows Titanium. Asked how much it was and she said $500. I lost my mind and said I'm not carrying around a $500 pocket knife no matter how great it is. That's crazy talk and just plain nuts. Told her I really didn't want her to spend that on knife. She then said, well, go buy that rifle you were looking at. Don't have to ask me twice.

Went over to Frontier Justice and bought it. Price tag was $899 + tax. It sure is a sweet little rifle. Now looking on AG Ammo at the Hornaday 240gr XTP Hollow Point. Thought about the 225gr Leverevolution but prefer to go with more grains as I can use it also in my Colt Anaconda.

Will be interesting to see how my old eyes work with the iron sights. Receiver is tapped for a mount. Have no idea if I'd be scorned and ridiculed for thinking about putting some sort of scope or sight on it but may have to look that direction. Or, better visibility iron sights. What would yall use/do?

View attachment 438036
View attachment 438037
Good looking rifle. I'd go with the red dot. I have 4 lever guns and all are sporting the red dot sights. Depending on the style used, it really doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the gun.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any 41 mag lever guns in quite sometime. Or am I living in a cave
I fell into this one over 8 years ago. Brand nib, and a beauty for sure. I pair it with a Smith Model 58 or 657 when I want to go on a walk. Henry’s are some of the most accurate lever guns out there. It seems like both the Marlin and Henry 41 mags have gone the way of the dodo birds!

Regards,

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I got the Henry today. Funny backstory that made me finally pull the trigger on it this morning.

Been wanting one of these 44 mag lever guns for some time. Really had heart set in a Win 1894 but they are spendy. My wife apparently has been struggling with gifts for me for Christmas. I've been also doing a lot of research on models of Benchmade knives and have explained they are great quality, very popular but are expensive. She saw me to a lot of searching around on BladeHQ website, etc. So this morning she was talking about and hinting at benchmade knives. Somehow I got out of here that she had one saved in the "cart". Managed to have her tell me it was the BM Narrows Titanium. Asked how much it was and she said $500. I lost my mind and said I'm not carrying around a $500 pocket knife no matter how great it is. That's crazy talk and just plain nuts. Told her I really didn't want her to spend that on knife. She then said, well, go buy that rifle you were looking at. Don't have to ask me twice.

Went over to Frontier Justice and bought it. Price tag was $899 + tax. It sure is a sweet little rifle. Now looking on AG Ammo at the Hornaday 240gr XTP Hollow Point. Thought about the 225gr Leverevolution but prefer to go with more grains as I can use it also in my Colt Anaconda.

Will be interesting to see how my old eyes work with the iron sights. Receiver is tapped for a mount. Have no idea if I'd be scorned and ridiculed for thinking about putting some sort of scope or sight on it but may have to look that direction. Or, better visibility iron sights. What would yall use/do?

View attachment 438036
View attachment 438037
You need to set it up like you like it now how we would like it. I’m thinking of a 2.5 fixed on the .360 Bhmr rifles that we will be using. I’ll probably go with a peep in the 44 magnum, they do help with old eyes a bit, but as it gets darker a peep goes dark also. The 2.5 leupold adds 19 minutes to a hunt! Leupold also makes a 1.5-4.5 also.

I don’t have a scope on one of my levers yet, but I will before next season. Nice looking rifle there, enjoy!

Regards,

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 438036
View attachment 438037
Congrats and merry early Christmas!

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What would yall use/do?
I think a red-dot is a good option. I put a Williams sight on my Winchester Trapper and it works rather well.

On my Marlin, I put a Skinner sight on it.

Attachments

• WinTrapper3.jpg
    WinTrapper3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Marlin1895 GSBL 2.JPG
    Marlin1895 GSBL 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Henry rifle I had at one time reminded me of the old Browning rifles and shotguns as far as fit and finish. I don't think the steels are probably as good but they definitely look nice. ETA: It was a Goldenboy .22. The centerfire calibers are probably better.

And with my old eyes I have to have an optic of some type, those buckhorn sights...well they may as well not put them on there. A family member had a Winchester 94 Trapper carbine with an Aimpoint on it and I loved that thing. So handy to point and shoot. I want a .357 lever gun to setup the same way.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good looking rifle. I'd go with the red dot. I have 4 lever guns and all are sporting the red dot sights. Depending on the style used, it really doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the gun.
As I’m getting older, the iron sights are getting tougher to use. What red dot sights are your favorite?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Can't wait to shoot it next week. And, I will say that I'm surprised buy the responses on the optics. While many of us older fellers have eyes not what they used to be I still thought most on here would call blasphemy by putting on some sort of electronic sight. Gotta do what we gotta do!. Did some research last night and found Phoenix Weaponry. THey make a low profile mount for a bunch of different sights. I think I'm going this route and looking at the Holosun 507K and the optic. Low profile, should keep a fairly "original" cheek weld and price isn't too bad with mount and sight. I appreicate all the replies. Thank you.

Link to Phoenix Weaponry web page for the mount.

https://www.phoenixweaponry.com/store/Henry-H006-H012-Red-Dot-Mount-p289171111