Love my lever guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. Do you shot them often? I'm ashamed to say I don't. So much easier to just shoot pistols because I'm just getting lazy I guesss
No scope inside 100 yds...If don't mind me bragging a little, I'm still pretty good.

Last edited:

Physocles

Marksman
Reaction score
When my grandpa died, my grandma very much needed money and sold off most of his collection. She tasked me and one of his best friends to handle the pricing and sale. If I wasn't a 21 year old college kid with cancer and no money, I would have bought all of them.

We had a stupid attack and used one of his pricing guides without realizing either that it was from 1987 or how much prices had risen since--I don't know which.
Among many other guns, we sold two pre-64 Winchester '94's, and two Marlins (one in .357 Mag and the other in .356). I think the buyer got all four for about a grand and a quarter.... The realization didn't come until I was at a gun show a few years later and saw an identical .222 to one that we let go of for about $500 sell for $1300. I still think about that with a sinking feeling in my gut. I should have taken out a loan and bought the lot...

I did manage to save four or five rifles including a fantastic Mannlicher g98/40, I lost all but my grandpa's very first rifle--a Remington mod. 12c to theft when the family friends who were storing the guns for me while I was away for college had a breakin.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the big-bores especially... Like the .450 Marlin and the .45-70.
I remember getting my copy of (I think it is) American Rifleman front cover marlins new 450 Marlin.

Thought, man that is awesome, I gotta have me one of those.

But I did not impulse buy (that time) waited, read more, thought about it, looked at reloading components, dies, thought some more, compared it to the 45/70, waited some more.

Ended up going with the stainless guide gun in 45/70.

45/70 dies (Redding) was cheaper, 45/70 brass was cheaper.

I am happy I did not jump on the 450 Marlin train and waited and went with the 45/70.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good, liking that collection. BTW- I’m independent, married and stable but still always up for adoption. 😎

I think ALL lever guns should be side-gate loading, even .22’s. I’m on the prowl for a Henry Big Boy Model X in .357, might even take a .44. But I already have suppressors that’ll work for the .357.
I almost bought the x 357. What a great looking/feeling/shooting gun. Plus it was a Henry. If i didn't already have the 357/38 in my golden boy, I'd have one.
I agree about the side gates. I try not to buy unless it has that but I did pick up a couple tube only's . I get it with the 22. I sure it would jam up a lot but I'll bet they'll figue it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom