Hey Fly Fishermen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought me a rig. Anyone up for showing Dustin the ropes?

I got a 9' 5 weight with a 5-6 weight reel and 5 weight line. I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need to get started and I'm a fast learner.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever make it to Tulsa or want to meet down at the Lower Illinois, I'd be happy to help you out. I'm a member of The Tulsaflyfishers. You can go to tulsaflyfishers.com and theres a link to the OKC chapter of Trout Unlimited. I think they go by the 89ers. Tulsa has a great group of guys that are always willing to help out someone new to the sport. I imagine the OKC guys would do the same.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's something I've always been curious about. I did some reading and I'm ready to start. I figure I can struggle through it an teach myself with the internet and YouTube, but getting a hand would make it quicker and funner. I prefer to fish with another person too. It makes it more enjoyable.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's some pretty good trout fishing in eastern OK, but the panfish and bass in just about every pond will go nuts over some dry flies and poppers. Remember to let the line fully extend both to the front and back while casting.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it very dificult? It doesn't seem tough just all in the timing. I'm sure I'm in for a treat though. An old guy at the fly shop told me to practice up on my 4 letter words. He was pretty cool to talk to. He said I'm about to make this a lot harder than it is and if I stuck with it I'd have a blast.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a place where you have enough room and practice casting. Don't worry about distance right now. Proper technique first. I get sloppy at times and realize my casts are crap because of improper technique. PM me when you are thinking about going to the Lower Illinois, maybe we could meet up. I didn't go today because of possible heavy rain. I suspect with all the rain they will be running water a lot, running all weekend this week.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll pm you when I'm free to go but on a weekend that you're going if you'll let me know I can usually get away on the weekend. I'm off every other Friday too.

I gave it a whirl today. I didn't catch anything but the rain was falling pretty good. Once it drys up in the next few days I'm gonna get in some practice. I'm going too far in the back cast and my fly is hitting the water. I had one or 2 casts that looked like they were good. My crackleback just floated along but for the most part it was crap. Another thing I noticed is you have to control the line in false casts. It really wants to pull out especially the more line you have out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom