Hey Fly Fishermen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try buying your flies online, its cheaper. Since your close to OKC get to Bass pro and get some 1/100 ounce micro jigs. They are very deadly at times and will catch trout, crappie, bass, bluegills and probably many other fish. I buy mainly white, but use black, yellow and the dark olive. You can fish these by stripping them in or under a strike indicator. I used it under an indicator last saturday on the Lower Illinois and they were hitting it really good for a couple of hours. Slight breeze made it really good with a little wave action. I used a black on a pond and caught a couple dozen bluegill, several crappie and a couple of small bass. Good luck and don't give up.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It definitely takes practice, but it is my favorite form of fishing. Your line and rod size will be perfect for panfish and trout. I use a 9' 5 wt. line in the streams of Pitkin, Colorado. I also have a 6' rod that I thought would be useful on the narrow streams I fish, but I hardly ever break it out.

The best advice I ever received was fly presentation. If fishing a stream, never let your fly make a "v" in the water. Also, never let your fly slap the water. Try to get it to gently land on the water.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to fly fish, I do not fly fish for trout though. I noticed you are in Mustang/OKC, if you like to tube fish then bring it on. We can break in the new fly rod on bass and bluegill until you get sick of bringing them in. Just now getting warm enough for me to go and with a body of water behind you instead of brush and grass it makes for an enjoyable trip with few snags. If you have a kid that would like to go bring them too, my 9 year old will not let me go without him and I have 3 tubes we can use.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have to use floatant on dry flies? I was using a crackleback today and it didn't want to float really well. I'm sure it had to do with my cast hitting the water too hard but even if I gently sat it in the water it would float for a bit then sink.

Also, do I need to get some strike indicators? Are they mostly used on wet flies?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to fly fish, I do not fly fish for trout though. I noticed you are in Mustang/OKC, if you like to tube fish then bring it on. We can break in the new fly rod on bass and bluegill until you get sick of bringing them in. Just now getting warm enough for me to go and with a body of water behind you instead of brush and grass it makes for an enjoyable trip with few snags. If you have a kid that would like to go bring them too, my 9 year old will not let me go without him and I have 3 tubes we can use.

That would be awesome too. I like catching blue gill and bass as much as anything. Shoot me a PM sometime.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dry fly will float without floatant only if you false cast it a couple of times to dry it out and it hits the water softly. Sometimes I put it on and sometimes I don't. I use strike indicators when fishing under water with nymphs and micro jigs. You could use it on a wet fly I suppose but i usually use wet flies in riffles or current and let them drift down stream and hold it in place for a bit then strip in slowly. This is called swinging. I use wet flies, buggers and micro jigs for this, no indicator. Anymore questions, just ask, I'll try to give an answer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HAHA! Welcome to the club!:D
I'm in my first year of learning and I know all the four letter words now.:D

Its like anything else, practice, practice. I don't do it enough and have bad habits.
I'm suprised JP hasn't chimed in yet. He is big into fly fishing.

What I'm looking forward to now, is the the bluegill will be on the beds this month, and will take a fly better than any other time. Been pretty lucky with the royal wulff on the bluegill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom