Hey Fly Fishermen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but my resources weren't very clear on that part. I was getting the vibe that you should add tippet before you get to the thicker part of the leader so you don't ruin the leader, but I was worded awkwardly and I wasn't sure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So when are we going fishing for them blues Dennis? :D

Get with me on a pm and we will set a day. I have some fridays off like you and some mondays and tuesdays off as well.

Hybrids on the intake were in there by the thousands last couple of weeks, but have been thinning out. Next week is a Wed-saturday work day. I have a video on my cell but can't forward it as its too large of a file. I'll save it for you to see.:D:D When I say I drug a lure across their backs, you will be my backup after seeing the video.:D

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get with me on a pm and we will set a day. I have some fridays off like you and some mondays and tuesdays off as well.

Hybrids on the intake were in there by the thousands last couple of weeks, but have been thinning out. Next week is a Wed-saturday work day. I have a video on my cell but can't forward it as its too large of a file. I'll save it for you to see.:D:D When I say I drug a lure across their backs, you will be my backup after seeing the video.:D

Nice!! PM inbound.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bad part about tying on tippet is unless you use a tippet ring you lose a little more leader each time you tie on tippet. Eventually you will have to put on a whole new leader.

I gave up on the tippets. Been using the 9' leaders and throwing them away when getting too short. I'm a newb, maybe thats wrong. I don't know.

deadeyedave

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll pm you when I'm free to go but on a weekend that you're going if you'll let me know I can usually get away on the weekend. I'm off every other Friday too.

I gave it a whirl today. I didn't catch anything but the rain was falling pretty good. Once it drys up in the next few days I'm gonna get in some practice. I'm going too far in the back cast and my fly is hitting the water. I had one or 2 casts that looked like they were good. My crackleback just floated along but for the most part it was crap. Another thing I noticed is you have to control the line in false casts. It really wants to pull out especially the more line you have out.
I have been fly-fishing for about 40 years. If the size of the fish I catch is the measure of competence, I'm incompetent. My main species fished for with a fly rod is perch. They're fun. They're good eating. They fight like crazy. And with a fly rod and some wet flies, it's like stealing them. My schedule is very flexible but I rarely make time to fish. I would be more than happy to show you any and all I know about casting etc. The best tip I ever got was to carry a small sharpening stone and sharpen my hook (even brand new ones) OFTEN. No exaggeration, I hook at least 10 times as many fish now. My number in OKC is 476-8731. Give me a call and maybe we can go tangle some lines. lol

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went after some hybrids at Sooner lake today. I noticed the mayflies have emerged and are EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure what that means in terms of fly fishing, but I have a new respect for the little bugs since I've picked this hobby up.

I didn't bring the fly rod out, but we ended up taking 6 nice fish home. Hit some old home town ponds around my parents house and caught probably 15 large mouth bass. It was a great day for fishing. I wish I would have had my fly rod for the ponds. There were some blue gill to be caught.

little foot

Marksman
Reaction score
I bought a couple of rods and all the gear when i lived in Colorado. tried it for 6 yrs and I still look like a cat playing with a ball of twine. By the way the white river in Arkansas has better fish overall that CO IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom