High end air pistol as concealed carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A pellet gun could be considered a deadly weapon and is considered a firearm, but I don't think you would ever be able to carry it as a CC weapon. 1. I don't think any CCW instructor in the state would ever let you on his range with a BB gun for qualification. 2. You have to qualify with the type of weapon you will be carrying. If you didn't qualify with a air pistol, I don't think you could carry it.

The problem with BB's & pellets is they are so light weight that they have no kenetic energy, even at 1,000- 1,250 fps. You take a 230 grain .45 ball round... it only travels at approx. 950 FPS, but with its size & weight it can seem like the bad guy is getting hit with a bowling ball.

A BB or pellet is so small in diameter that the wound would most likely close on itself with no bleeding or significant penetration... and quick massive blood loss linked with massive tissue / nerve damage is what you want with a self defense round... that is why people use hollow points that expand in size with jagged petals.

Using a BB or pellet, the bad guy probably wouldn't feel more than the equivalent of a Bee sting. More than likely it wouldn't even penetrate the standard Hoodie that a lot of Bad Guys wear. For self defense, I think you shouldn't go with any thing less than a .380 HP. And even then, after firing your 7 shots you might have to run like hell to get away from the guy.

Like the others, I'm curious as to why you would ever consider a BB / pellet gun as a CC? You would be better off with a .22 short in a cheap pistol, than using a BB or pellet gun.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. You have to qualify with the type of weapon you will be carrying. If you didn't qualify with a air pistol, I don't think you could carry it.
Everyone should know ...this is NOT True.....do your class with a semi and you can carry a revo....do it with a revo and you cant carry a semi.
Its to show that you have ...some.... knowledge of the weapon your going to use, they suggest you do it with a semi....even a .22 .
Then your clear on the CWL .

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2. You have to qualify with the type of weapon you will be carrying. If you didn't qualify with a air pistol, I don't think you could carry it.
Everyone should know ...this is NOT True.....do your class with a semi and you can carry a revo....do it with a revo and you cant carry a semi.
Its to show that you have ...some.... knowledge of the weapon your going to use, they suggest you do it with a semi....even a .22 .

Then if he qualifies with a semi-auto 22, he can carry a semi auto or revolver pellet gun. Because it would fire with co2 gas and is a pistol as defined by sda.

BBshooterok, How old are you 14?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I was writting in generality when I wrote "type of weapon"... meaning that in the SDA classes, people qualify with a type of weapon [whether it is a pistol / revolver / derringer] that fires cartridges containing gun powder and a projectile, and not the type functioning on air. I have the P/R/D endorsement myself. A air pistol is a totally different 'type' of weapon in its function than that of a weapon using gun powder.

I would bet that the OSBI will say that a BB / pellet gun will not qualify under the SDA.

Under Title 21 1290.1 Section #2 it reads--

2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:

a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,

b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,

c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and

d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.

The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.
--------

I don't think any reasonable person on this forum would ever believe that a BB / pellet pistol would be expected to be able to cause a lethal injury to a human being. It would be a fluke for a BB or pellet pistol to cause lethal injury. Unless someone can come up with any BB pistol death statistics. I've never heard of one in the news.. and I'm in my 50's. I grew up when BB guns were given to boys by the tens of thousands every Christmas, and never have I heard of any deaths from BB pistols... so there can't be too many. Now BB / Pellet rifles, that is a different thing. There have been a number of deaths caused by them.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
d. uses either gunpowder,( gas )or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectileIts still considered, not very smart in my not so educated Opinion.
And No I dont think most classes will let you use an air gun.
But , he could carry it if he wanted ,I just dont get why he would change for an "office setting".
I use an airsoft that has full functioning action and 475 fps to practice, I wouldnt carry it, and actually its illegal to shoot in town.
The gun range is an hour away, so backyard practice is necessary.
The neighbors know ,and I contain my pellets in a box
Edit: at 7 yards I can hit the x-10, about the size of an eye, 9 out of 10 times and Im moving...very little recoil helps..LOL

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my thought: I have never seen anyone cited for carrying a loaded BB gun or for carrying loaded in there car etc. Common sense tells me that this is because most LEOs dont consider it a real firearm. And also normal restrictions such as purchase age do not apply to BB guns. Now, using one in a crime, that will still get you in trouble but in that case its because its a 'weapon' not because its a 'firearm'

However there have been many cases of people with real looking BB guns shot by LEOs and others that people thought were real.

I know this: my odds of survival go way up when Im slinging lead and you are shooting BBs at me

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can sort of see where the OP is coming from. The Self defense act is not just used against armed attackers. It could also be used against non armed attackers such as rabid dogs. A pellet gun would be very useful in these situations. There are people in this world who could not kill an individual attacking them, so this would be an option.

I find it funny that some of the scenarios discussed here involved two law abiding self defense act citizens against each other. That just makes me LOL. I am not saying that will not happen, but I am also not saying I will be eaten by a shark.

Outside of this, I would not carry a pellet gun simply because I am a gun nut like the rest of the people in this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom