hog removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you r00. Though some toes will be stepped on, the cure for eliminating hogs is not one hunters can solve. Hunting does benefit the one behind the gun but actually hinders the solution "trapping". Anyone that has or has had this problem will understand this.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roosta7 - I agree 100% with your statement. I have gained access to over 100,000 acres of land to hunt and not paid a dime by doing precisely what you have stated. I have fishing rights too. These acres are located in Okla, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Arkansas. I expect Kansas will be next. I am no one special. Anyone can do it, just spend some energy and be polite and help a rancher out. I have had people tresspass on my property and caught them. While they are standing there looking sheepish with the policeman or game ranger as a witness I tell them had they just beeen polite and asked permission FIRST things might have been different.

If you recall that is somewhat how you and I got to know each other. You needed help on a 22 acre lake and I helped you accomplish your goal. We have become friends and you now hold a key to my farm gate and help me when needed. This is all it takes friendship and trust.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you r00. Though some toes will be stepped on, the cure for eliminating hogs is not one hunters can solve. Hunting does benefit the one behind the gun but actually hinders the solution "trapping". Anyone that has or has had this problem will understand this.

Don since you are from Texas I'm sure you understand this as good as anyone. The hog problem there has been going on for years and seems to be a losing battle in some counties there. As more hogs move north I wonder if farmers here will eventually change their way of thinking towards hogs. I personally don't want to see them here the way they are in Texas but it is headed in that direction. I understand about someone not allowing just anyone on your land but agree with what was said above. Access can be gained to some of those ranches but you have to be willing to work for it at times.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is all it takes friendship and trust.

Yes sir, I agree. We are now friends and mutually use each other. (I don't mean that the way it sounds!) Landowners actually need trusting hunters/trappers, just as hunters/trappers need trusting landowners. Most ranchers don't have the time to patrol their property like it really needs. Yeah, they could lease it out to someone they don't know and make a few bucks off of it, but then they still have to worry if a gate is gonna get closed, pasture gonna get rutted up, or who knows what else. If they have someone they know and trust to keep an eye on their property while they're not around, that can be worth more than the money they'd make leasing it out. Earlier this year I posted a story about getting the game warden called on me for sitting on the road and "poaching" when I was actually just looking over the place and being the eyes in the field. That story got relayed to an adjoining landowner that I didn't know at the time. Since then I have met the landowner and got to know him and just this week he gave me permission to access his land and hunt all the pigs I want. I never asked permission, never even hinted around about it. Just introduced myself when I saw him, talked about the weather and animals, and he offered it to me. Like ol Mighty Merle Haggard sings about, the good times ain't over for good. There are a lot of good ol boys still around that will let you hunt with a nothin but a handshake. Just take the time to get to know them and do what's right.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Earn that trust, and they may just give you the keys to the place. I've got a keyring full of keys on my turn signal that was earned doing just that. I don't, have never, and will never (hopefully), pay a dime for land to hunt. QUOTE]

I'm betting the keys in my glove box, deer slayers, and yours could tell some stories.
I'm on the same boat. Probably 1/3 of my summer is spent helping landowners that I've met put in food plots with my equipment, for their kids to hunt on, looking after their place, etc.
Was setting out traps this morning, after calling the landowner for permission. He asked if I would go to his barn and set the rodent traps he has. No brainer. Done deal.

What has been stated already, and to repeat it, one has to gain the respect and trust of the landowner, to gain access.
Once that access has been gained, the landowners rules have to be followed.
On my land, I've given permission in the past, and it didn't take very long that the person that had permission, had hoards of people thinking it was open range, bringing their friends and neighbors.
It doesn't work that way. If somebody gives permission to YOU. It means YOU. Not your wife, not your kids, nobody but YOU.
If the initial deal is you and one other person, then that one person agreed to is the only one. Substituting a different person a week doesn't get it.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I,ve been lurking in the back ground for quite awhile now but this topic hits a nerve. I get asked to have access to my land all the time buired t from past experiance i won't give it. I hired a person to bale my property one year. about have way through the process i came home one day and there was about 20 people having a bombfire on my place drinking beer and thier kids riding my horses. went bullistic. I have had other problems as well but not to that bad.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Scott, you are so right. The hog problem happened so fast. They weren't there, we wanted them, then they were and it was "oh crap" why did we wish for them. They are here in Oklahoma and the places that don't have them now, will soon.

Good advice on here about relationship building. Remember, you don't know who preceded you with asking or having access,how they handled the property if they got on, and the rejection if they did not.
I have had better results gaining access to hunt coyotes. Always after deer season and it starts the contact. Good luck guys, Don

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread hasn't been touched in a while but I'm hoping y'all can educate me a bit. Two statements were made on here that I'd love to get some info on. First off, someone said that hunting hogs actually inhibits the trapping process. why would that matter?

Also, why is trapping more effective than hunting?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread hasn't been touched in a while but I'm hoping y'all can educate me a bit. Two statements were made on here that I'd love to get some info on. First off, someone said that hunting hogs actually inhibits the trapping process. why would that matter?

Also, why is trapping more effective than hunting?

I'll give you my opinion on it, not saying it is correct by any means, but just what I have experienced.

Suppose you spot pigs in a pasture, coming out every night, same place, same time. You go in there and shoot them up for a night, maybe two, what generally happens? The pigs do not return. They have felt that human pressure. So you got two nights hunting out of it, killed two or three pigs, now they have moved off to the neighboring property. Next property, pretty much same story. Two or three pigs are killed, the pressure is felt and they move on... and eventually they return to the original property. That might be a week, might be a month, but all they are doing is shuffling around with no significant decrease in their numbers.

Take the same scenario as above and this time, introduce a trap instead of a gun. With the right trap, patience, skill and LUCK, you can take out the whole sounder in one night. Maybe you don't get them all the first night, so you rebait and wait for them the next night... and the next. This whole time they find a continuous food source there every night with no human pressure. So the numbers that you can take before they move off, I believe, is considerably more than what you can do slinging lead at them.

Why would that matter? In respect to this particular thread, some guys were trying to get access to pigs while helping the land owner at the same time. From a land owner's perspective, the more hogs you take, the more you are helping me out. It isn't a tremendous help for someone to come in shooting at them, pigs scatter only return a few days/weeks later. You come in there and trap that whole sounder and cart them past the rancher's house on the way out the gate, by God you just made a friend. You might just get your own key to the gate out of it. It happens. :)

Like I said, this is just my opinion. Pigs (and trappers) do stupid, random things. There is no defined set of rules as to what works best, all the time. If you're in an area that has pigs, you are probably never going to completely eradicate them. But in my experience, trapping gets bigger numbers, and prolongs the amount of time until the pigs come back... cause they will come back.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll give you my opinion on it, not saying it is correct by any means, but just what I have experienced.

Suppose you spot pigs in a pasture, coming out every night, same place, same time. You go in there and shoot them up for a night, maybe two, what generally happens? The pigs do not return. They have felt that human pressure. So you got two nights hunting out of it, killed two or three pigs, now they have moved off to the neighboring property. Next property, pretty much same story. Two or three pigs are killed, the pressure is felt and they move on... and eventually they return to the original property. That might be a week, might be a month, but all they are doing is shuffling around with no significant decrease in their numbers.

Take the same scenario as above and this time, introduce a trap instead of a gun. With the right trap, patience, skill and LUCK, you can take out the whole sounder in one night. Maybe you don't get them all the first night, so you rebait and wait for them the next night... and the next. This whole time they find a continuous food source there every night with no human pressure. So the numbers that you can take before they move off, I believe, is considerably more than what you can do slinging lead at them.

Why would that matter? In respect to this particular thread, some guys were trying to get access to pigs while helping the land owner at the same time. From a land owner's perspective, the more hogs you take, the more you are helping me out. It isn't a tremendous help for someone to come in shooting at them, pigs scatter only return a few days/weeks later. You come in there and trap that whole sounder and cart them past the rancher's house on the way out the gate, by God you just made a friend. You might just get your own key to the gate out of it. It happens. :)

Like I said, this is just my opinion. Pigs (and trappers) do stupid, random things. There is no defined set of rules as to what works best, all the time. If you're in an area that has pigs, you are probably never going to completely eradicate them. But in my experience, trapping gets bigger numbers, and prolongs the amount of time until the pigs come back... cause they will come back.

Very well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom