Hog Traps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that all the other seasons are coming to an end and the groceries are limited, I think I am going to start trapping hogs. I have done this for a few years, but always used traps that ranchers supplied. They ranged from T-posts and cow panels, to trap doors, spring loaded doors, and all kinds of other configurations. I am wanting to build some new traps but have yet to settle on a design. I'd prefer one that can go in the back of my truck, but that is on the small side as far as traps go. I looked up some trap designs and this was about the best I found for what I wanted to do.

http://www.hogtrapping.com/traps/portable-hog-trap-plans.html

What kind of traps do ya'll use? And what kind of doors? Trigger mechanisms, push open, or spring loaded? I have had less luck with trigger doors on catching quantity of hogs due to the trigger gettin set off after 1 or 2 hogs get in it, and if they are the guillotine style, no more can push it open to get in. I've got lots of hogs in many places to trap, so I'd like to experiment with some different traps. And of course the cheapest I can get away with, the better.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a figure 6 a time or two with mixed results. Had problems with pigs jumping out when you walk up to the trap, cause you know they go ballistic. We used to sell some pigs and there is not an easy way to get them out without putting a bullet in the ear. But they are cheap and easy!

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have any hogs in our area yet..... but I do like to trap small game. what is a figure 6 trap?

A figure 6 trap looks like a figure 6 from the top. You must build it very sturdy, and high even with a top maybe - so the pigs won't jump out. You rig the intersection of the circle and straight part of the 6 with just enough space for a pig to squeeze through, but narrow enough that he can't squeeze out. You use rebar or sucker rod for that part and sharpen the ends so it will catch the pigs skin and won't let him get out. Going in it will flex enough for him to squeeze in, but won't let him out. I've seen some of these 10 or 12 feet in diameter and catch 10 pigs at a time. It's a riot though when you walk up to the trap and they see you coming.

I have a neighbor that has one of these and has even rigged up a loading chute on one side. he has a guy that buys them.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A figure 6 is like a fish trap for hogs. The following illustration shows a couple of different designs using the same principal with wire panels and t-posts. The arrows show where the hogs enter and those panels are loose, but have enough spring in them to flop back closed after the hog pushes through.

ai28.photobucket.com_albums_c214_Brute23_Damage_TrapDesigns.jpg

They do climb and jump, so the the taller the panel the better you are.
[Broken External Image]

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got one trap built this weekend... turned out pretty well I think. The panels we used were 5 foot tall, instead of 4 like most plans say, so we just spent an extra $2 on angle iron and made the trap 8' long x 4' wide x 5' tall. Laying in bed last night the obvious hit me, why didn't we turn it on its side and then have one that is 5' wide and 4' tall? :) Got it unloaded and baited, going to go check it this afternoon. Wait a few days before I close the door on it and hopefully catch a few eaters. Going to use some as feed for the bald eagles that have been hanging around. They love pigs!

Attachments

• trap1.jpg
    trap1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 616

Latest posts

Top Bottom