Hogs on public land question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went for a drive today with the wife and headed out to Waurika. I have not been there in years and we just wanted to get out of the house.

I noticed on the ODWC WMA sign that there was an addition that basically said "no hog hunting on this land". My question is why? There has to be a bunch out there, so why not let people shoot them?

I am trying to figure this out and was curious as to why.

Thoughts?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing i can come up with is they are afraid someone that is just walking around might get shot by someone that shoots just at the sound of a stick breaking. Its different during deer season since you are required to have orange on anytime you are in the woods that time of year.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were to guess, I’d say it’s because there’s no season for hogs in Oklahoma, so there’s no mechanism for ODWC to allow you to hunt hogs on public lands.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went for a drive today with the wife and headed out to Waurika. I have not been there in years and we just wanted to get out of the house.

I noticed on the ODWC WMA sign that there was an addition that basically said "no hog hunting on this land". My question is why? There has to be a bunch out there, so why not let people shoot them?

I am trying to figure this out and was curious as to why.

Thoughts?
Oklahoma is taking part in the Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program, a program of the United States Department of Agriculture. To ensure projects are conducted effectively, hunting on these WMAs for feral hogs is prohibited: Hackberry Flat, Kaw, Sandy Sanders and Waurika.

Latest posts

Top Bottom