hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .223 will just piss them off! I either hunt with a 45/70 rifle or .45 pistol. Deer corn with hog wild will draw them in. They have a great sense of smell, so be careful they do not wind you. They are so loud eating and moving, they will not be able to hear you very well. We have actually stood by talking about which ones we were going to shoot first.

After the first shot, get ready for mayhem! The squealing will start and they will start to scatter. Be ready for one or two to charge directly at you!

Have fun!

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're one of few I have heard say they came to a call. I've tried with no success to call them.
I used to wish for hogs on our place and now I wish they weren't They can be destructive.
To your question, like its been said already, baiting is your best bet, especially when water is abundant. Patterning them is very tough if you haven't been feeding daily. Thats the exception at our place. If the feeders are running constantly they will come back everyday unless shot at. Not necessarily the same time and more often than not, "not" the same time.
Anyway, we have had them on our place for 15 years or so now and hunting and trapping have neither dented or deterred them.
Look for fresh sign then ease into the wind looking for them or just sit and wait. I preffer the proactive approach :) Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I'm with whoever said they wouldn't want to eat one that's been eating hydrocarbons, so I personally would nix the diesel fuel.

That would be me.

I went up to the north end of Kaw lake today, and walked several miles in areas where I've heard the hogs are coming around.
Finally cut a pig trail. Looked like one larger hog with a bunch of young uns'.

Tracks were a couple of days old, possibly during or just before the snow storm this weekend. Looks like it might be time to get some bait out and see what comes around. :D

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .223 will just piss them off! I either hunt with a 45/70 rifle or .45 pistol. Deer corn with hog wild will draw them in. They have a great sense of smell, so be careful they do not wind you. They are so loud eating and moving, they will not be able to hear you very well. We have actually stood by talking about which ones we were going to shoot first.

After the first shot, get ready for mayhem! The squealing will start and they will start to scatter. Be ready for one or two to charge directly at you!

Have fun!

223 kills them just fine.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223 kills them just fine.

I can't disagree with the 223 killing them. There have been many that fell to my bolt 223 and AR's. Some body shots but most in or below the ear. Where I think the 223 falls short is when I have the chance to shoot multiples. After shooting the first one they are on the run. Hitting them in the body will kill them but hogs have a reputation "not" to leave a good if any blood trail and though they will die, I might not find them for a day or so. Thats been my experience.

When I stepped up to 243 and larger my odds went way up. JM2C

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been hunting them recently with some friends on Kaw lake for the last three weeks. The ar has worked just fine especially with the red dot sight. We have been doing it like pheasant, walkers and blockers with fair results. There has been enough pressure on them lately that the bigger herds have moved to the private land around the public. Three weeks ago the state of Kansas was shooting them from a helicopter just across the state line from where we were hunting. This is the first time I have hunted public since about 1985 and didn't even know there were hogs in the county.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet that can get pretty interesting for the blocker...nothing like a herd of very pi$$ed off hogs running straight for you.

It's sure enough a whole new hunting experience for me. We really haven't run into anything real aggressive yet. Biggest problem is getting them out of the thickets to shoot them. They will stay in thick cover as much as possible. I have literally had them run within twenty feet of me and never got a glimpse of them. You can hear them grunting, squeling and thrashing the undergrowth as they go by and never get a peek at them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom