hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a word to the guy asking if choke tubes matters when shooting slugs...

Just think about that one for a little while. You're trying to put a big object through a hole that's too small for it.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slugs shoot fine through choke tubes. A degradation in accuracy does not typically rear its head until you approach the full choke side of things. Slugs typically behave best when fired through a improved or modified.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the 223 killing them. There have been many that fell to my bolt 223 and AR's. Some body shots but most in or below the ear. Where I think the 223 falls short is when I have the chance to shoot multiples. After shooting the first one they are on the run. Hitting them in the body will kill them but hogs have a reputation "not" to leave a good if any blood trail and though they will die, I might not find them for a day or so. Thats been my experience.

When I stepped up to 243 and larger my odds went way up. JM2C

That's a good 2 cent to put in. thanks! From what I'ver heard .223 works well but like you said, gotta go close to the neck/ head area for a good clean kill. So would I be better off using my .257 roberts bolt action or the AR do you think?

niether of those places are in south texas. buy a map

I thought about that after I posted. I was just thinking it's south of lubbock where I normally frequent... you are right though, it's more central than south. either way thanks for focusing on the wrong part of the post :thumb:

I have been hunting them recently with some friends on Kaw lake for the last three weeks. The ar has worked just fine especially with the red dot sight. We have been doing it like pheasant, walkers and blockers with fair results. There has been enough pressure on them lately that the bigger herds have moved to the private land around the public. Three weeks ago the state of Kansas was shooting them from a helicopter just across the state line from where we were hunting. This is the first time I have hunted public since about 1985 and didn't even know there were hogs in the county.

I'd be more concerned about a bullet wizzing by than a pig if I were a blocker! It's scary enough with a shotgun at times. just sounds dangerous with a rifle.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a word to the guy asking if choke tubes matters when shooting slugs...

Just think about that one for a little while. You're trying to put a big object through a hole that's too small for it.

Slugs shoot fine through choke tubes. A degradation in accuracy does not typically rear its head until you approach the full choke side of things. Slugs typically behave best when fired through a improved or modified.

That's why I was asking because I could see it might be a problem, but I don't really know exactly how big a slug is since I haven't shot one or been exposed to them at all really. My shotgun is the mossberg 835 ulti-mag that came with an extra full choke tube on it. I bought either an improved or modified but can't remember which. I wasn't intending on using the extra full but didn't want to do something bad to the gun based off of ignorance or being to prideful to go get the information needed. I appreciate your help liliysdad

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that 257 will work. i have used my 25-06 on a few with out any problems.

Would the greater fire power outweigh the downtime between shots you think? I won't lie I like the idea of having 30 rounds at my disposal if needed. I think I will go ahead and start a new thread with a poll so I don't hijack this one completely.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are worried the fellas you hunt with are gonna whiz bullets by you then you better find some different hunting buddies. It's all in the plan and everybody being and staying on the same page.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooter, I like the idea of the 257 Roberts. I had a Remington Classic in that caliber and it will roll them over. The 30 rounds is good if they would run back and forth (joke) but they generally will run for cover immediately so chances are the 5 you have in the bolt gun should have you eating pork for a while :) Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom