Holster suggestions for 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemipowered22z

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Kimber 4 inch barrel. I am wanthing an OWB holster for it not sure what to get. I think I want a felt lined leather holster. I have been considering the GALCO Concealable Belt holster http://www.galcogunleather.com/concealable-belt-holster_8_4_1064.html but its not felt lined. I want to protect the blueing as much as I can. I dont plan to carry the weapon alot but I want a good holster for when I do. Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a full size Kimber and have a Galco FLETCH holster as my primary OWB holster for it. I really like it and would recommend it. It is not felt lined however.

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mentioned felt but i think you meant suede. Most suede is chrome tanned . Holsters are made
From vegetable tanned leather. You never want anything chrome tanned against a firearm for a extended time.chrome tanning is very corrosive.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mentioned felt but i think you meant suede. Most suede is chrome tanned . Holsters are made
From vegetable tanned leather. You never want anything chrome tanned against a firearm for a extended time.chrome tanning is very corrosive.

Not only that, but suede collects more dust, dirt, grit and debris than good ol' cowhide. That's what causes wear on your gun's finish.

The great colonel, the very man who mastered the 1911, who said it was the greatest fighting handgun ever, always carried his in a Yaqui slide holster.

farm5.staticflickr.com_4016_4550143301_d635cc1c5b_z.jpg

sheriffjimwilson.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_10_Yaqui_Slide_lo.jpg

real-world-carry-yaqui-slide-holster.jpg

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to your local shop and see if you can find one, but remember order it online rather than buy it at the local store.... It's more cheaper.

This just drives me crazy !! Instead of supporting your local gun shops, you would rather burn up fuel, waste someones valuable time, drive back home and order it on the internet to save a few bucks ?

I hope that most OSA members do not have the same theory as you, as we would not have any local small business owners left.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tucker Gun Leather HF1 is what I carry my Commander size 1911 in. I had them add cow hide lining to it. It is a great holster and I love it. The quality of leather and workmanship that goes into the holster makes it one of the best money can buy IMO.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-hf1-belt-holster/

HF1 is a great option. Reality is you are only going to reduce holster wear. Any friction is going to wear the finish. Regarding belt slides they are an option but should you catch the muzzle on an obstacle while sitting down it is possible you may no longer have a holstered pistol. Don't store in the leather and wipe down each day.

Mitch Rosen was making Kimber holsters. Great option.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom