Home defense shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want something reliable and affordable the Mossberg Maverick "security" edition is a great choice.

You can get it from Academy sports for under $200. It's built to swap MOST parts with the Mossberg 500 so if you want to swap grips or add a side saddle you can just get 500 parts.
I have to agree. I love my maverick. It is made just as well as the 500. And you can swap the parts. Mine has never hesitated to operate 100%.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is one to pump it if you have been shot/injured in the other arm?
Its possible, but time consuming.

There has been many cases of people that short stroked a pump with both arms in play when under stress conditions. I've seen bird hunters short stroke a pump on a covey of quail. Personal stress would be no different.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has an H&R Pardner pump that we bought for $150 from a member on here. It's a Norinco 870 clone with higher carbon content steel (so they say). She has shot it a few times, and I shoot the hell out of it.

That said, she prefers shooting an AR15. Joe Biden can suck it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been shooting 870 for over 40 years. Dove, quail, squirrel, rabbit, duck, goose, turkey, skeet, trap, cans, whatever. Superlites to heaviest 3" loads. Maybe it's a miracle, but I have never short stroked a shell. Would not hesitate to grab any of my 870s in any needed situation. Same goes for my 1100s.

ANY arm you plan on using for HD or SD, use the crap out of it, with a variety of loads. Determine reliability and appropriate load before staking your life on it.

As to Hoddy's 'shot in one arm'; in that situation, any long gun will be awkward, grab the 1911.