Home defense shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't the FTE issue in the newer 870's usually a result of a poorly polished chamber? Seems I read where using a tiny amount of polishing compound on a brush, chucked in a drill, worked nicely to clean up the chamber and eliminate the problem.

I fixed all my 870s by selling them ... I guess I just don't drink enough "R" cool-aid to make excuses.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Mossberg is the 500SP 20Ga. Only thing I replaced was the short youth stock with a full sized stock. Other than that she looks just like a 590A1 minus the bayonet lug. She has ghost ring sights, and holds eight rounds of 2-3/4" or 3" 20Ga. ammo, sluugs or buckshot #2 or #3. Still plenty of power to get the job done with about half the recoil.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
beretta 1200fp, 1201fp, think there is a newer 1203fp or some such, but looks like you want a pump, but I don' t care how fast you can shuck them, my beretta can have all cases in the air at the same time. That is a hell of a lot of lead down range all at once. I would hate to be hit by 2-3 buck rounds, don't think you would have to worry about wounding. You couldn't patch the holes fast enough. Blood pressure would be sudden and immense. I digress, but if on a budget get an old cheap $129 mossy from summitgun (I bought two for my son on I) he is either going to get an extra barrel or get another used barrel and cut it down. I think we paid $250 shipped for the pair....I have done a lot of biz with Mark in last 10 years. this is a cheap option, and so is the imported Hawk, ati, or buds has a admiral or some such in the cheap range, but I personally would rather have a 16 yr old mossberg than a new cheap gun. just my .02

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
New production express model 870's have a decent chance of being junk. The FTE issue is well known and Remington isn't interested in fixing it. I had to buttstroke mine on the ground to clear it when it locked up.

Benelli Nova is the best working pump 12 gauge. They are stupid fast to reload which is a requirement I have for a HD shotgun, neither the 870 or the Mossberg compare in that regard.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an 870 express that wouldnt extract winchester bulk stuff without some "love". I took the barrel off and polished the chamber with some 0000 steel wool and didnt have any issues after that. I have to agree with turkeyrun that a an 870 wingmaster or even better, police, is the better way to go for HD.