Home defense shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a southpaw, my only issue with the Remington is the cross bolt safety. Other than that they are great guns!!

Williams gun sight co. did make left hand safeties for the 870.

The problem with the mossberg guns is that you are not supposed
to have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.
If you watch most mossberg shooters their fingers on the trigger
and thumbs on the safety. which can cause premature discharge.

Reaction score
I looked at a Remington 870, the tactical model with 18" barrel, 12-gauge and the standard (not pistol) grip. The gun is available with or without Ghost Ring sights. Good choice?

Shoot yeah! Few if any better. You just cannot beat the extreme reliability of a pump and nothing better than the tried and true 870, IMO.

Right now by the bedside I'm runnin with a Norinco Hawk 982, which is a well reversed-engineered and made copy of the 870. Good budget HD shotgun.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bead front sights are for shooting dove and pheasant, not defense.

Oh, I dunno...I have just a good ol' brass bead on my 590 and I qualified with it last time 90% 00 Buckshot and 100% slugs.

That's not to say that if I could install a set of ghosts on it, I probably would, but I don't see ghost rings or any other kind of rifle sights as a drop dead necessity. Especially on a HD shotgun. MOST home invasion types of shootings will happen within the 21 foot rule anyway. At that distance, it's basically just point and shoot. Who's gonna have time to get a proper sight picture? :ugh2:

Folks was shooting (and killing) bad guys for eons before the very first set of rifle sights showed up on a scattergun. :anyone:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either a Remington or a Mossberg. Had a Rem 870P Magnum with a Choat top-folding stock and extended mag tube. Nice gun and compact. Sold it to a friend a year ago and picked up a Moss 590A1 with the Speed Fed stock and three dot sight system. Other than the safety that I never use, there really is not much difference from the Remy. Keep in mind that it is a pump shotgun .... not a benchrest rifle.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are just looking for a reasonably priced home defense gun, I would just go with the mossberg 88 maverick. They are easy to come by and are good guns for defense.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have to disagree with this statement. having the coin has nothing to do with the ergonomics. I chose the Mossy 590A1 for the safety placement and bayo mount. Not that I would need the bayo...

Didn't say it did, I am saying if I would buy the remy before the mossy. I own a mossy 500.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
install the large head safety on the remy and no worries about being on safe. Smack the side and go.
Are there still any users (or manufacturers)of the rubber buckshot?