Home defense shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want something reliable and affordable the Mossberg Maverick "security" edition is a great choice.

You can get it from Academy sports for under $200. It's built to swap MOST parts with the Mossberg 500 so if you want to swap grips or add a side saddle you can just get 500 parts.

I'll have to agree with this choice. Most home defense guns sit in the corner behind the door or under a bed and for me it's hard to have an expensive shotgun that you rarely shoot (typically) laying around collecting dust. If you plan on doing more with it then spend the money for a higher quality gun (tighter action, better finish, etc.) but since you said "home defense" then I'll assume it's going to sit.

With that being said I have a couple of 870's and have had Mossbergs and the Winchester Defender series. All great shotguns and would put my life on any of them to be honest.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just read an article in GUNS magazine the other day that Remington has officially made 10 million 870s.

If that doesnt prove theyre good gund I dont know what does.

I have one and love it.

Just dont make the rookie mistake of "Its a shotgun, I dont have to aim." A shotgun requires just as much skill if not more than a rifle.

I say have at it. Cant go wrong with an 870, and if youve got the coin, I would definitely get the ghost ring sights

Benelli

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, the "tactical" 870's are part of the Express (budget) line of 870's. The 870P's are different as evidenced by this http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/870ExpvsPol6-30-05.pdf
Will these differences matter? Only you know how much you will use it.

Also, if you are looking at the Mossbergs. Don't confuse the 590's with the 590A1's. There are some differences.

I have zero personal experience with either platforms, but I have been researching them quite a bit. Measure twice, cut once.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 590 and love it.

I also used to own a Mossberg model 88 "Maverick" and loved it as well.

If I had the extra moolah, I'd love to own an "experienced" Remington 870, complete with wooden furniture, dents, dings and a little surface rust here and there.

I'd also buy woolworh's Winchester 1300 if I had the dough. :(

I also own a Cimarron 1878 coach gun in 12 gauge with an American black walnut stock, double triggers and mule-ear hammers and 20" barrels. She's a sweet shooter too.

I just have this certain love affair for a good scattergun. I consider it the perfect weapon. :w000t:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harrington and Richardson 401 12 g.

Picked this one up in a two for one deal. I figure there is $100 tied up in it.
It's a legal 18.5 inch (bought it from a dealer ... FFL papers were filed)

Can't beat cheap. Very tight shotgun... no flex or rattles in the slide.

Upgrades... Uncle Mikes sling swivles... a cast-off sling from some other gun and a Butt Cuff full-'O-Buckshot.

Attachments

• HR 401.jpg
    HR 401.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 197

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have pretty much decided on a Remington 870 Police Magnum, preferably a standard black stock, 18.5", 7 round capacity. I am on a waiting list for a used one. Anyone know of a local source, new or used? Also, how about sights - bead, rifle, ghost ring???

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have pretty much decided on a Remington 870 Police Magnum, preferably a standard black stock, 18.5", 7 round capacity. I am on a waiting list for a used one. Anyone know of a local source, new or used? Also, how about sights - bead, rifle, ghost ring???

Have you checked out Oklahoma Police Supply?