Home defense shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering a home defense shotgun. I looked at a Remington 870, the tactical model with 18" barrel, 12-gauge and the standard (not pistol) grip. The gun is available with or without Ghost Ring sights. Good choice? Suggestions/comments?
Thanks!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
without trying to sound sarcastic, but without even trying a google search I can tell you that recently LAPD just ordered thousands of them to replace thousands of others. Remington has sold untold 10's of thousands (if not more) 870's. By tactical I guess that is the new police mag, so I would say it is a hell of a choice for home defense...kind of like asking if the glock 22 is a good gun for a duty weapon...most law depts would say yes.

yes, buy it now. I personally wouldn't buy one new, but I hate depreciation, but if you have to have new, then gitrdone. :-)

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want something reliable and affordable the Mossberg Maverick "security" edition is a great choice.

You can get it from Academy sports for under $200. It's built to swap MOST parts with the Mossberg 500 so if you want to swap grips or add a side saddle you can just get 500 parts.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either the Rem. 870 or the Mossberg 590. With either one the most important feature to insist on is good sights. When you go to pattern the gun at defensive ranges the need for sights becomes apparent. Good sights also give you effective accuracy with slugs out to 100 yds. Try that with only a gold bead.

I have the 870 tactical you mentioned with the XS Ghost ring sights. It's been excellent. I went 870 over mossberg mainly because I already own an 870 as one of my hunting shotguns so I already "know it" and they can share some parts if something breaks. I gave 450 for it.

Besides the sights another advantage of the 870 "tactical" is that it accepts any standard remington screw in choke. Most defensive shotguns are fixed at cylinder bore. I ditched the silly "breacher" attachment it came with for a Briley Cylinder bore screw in choke tube for home defense with 00 buck and Slugs. I also have an extra full extended choke for transforming it into my turkey gun. Is a 19 and 3/4'' (with the extended choke) ideal on a turkey gun? Not exactly, but the excellent sights are ideal for turkey hunting. Anyway, if you hunt its a nice feature.

Here's a great short writeup on defensive shotgun use and features from Fr. Frog's page. Lots of truthful info on his webpage.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/shotgun.htm

When you get your defensive shotgun check out Federal Truball low recoil sluggs and Breneke Tactical Home Defense low recoil slugs. Both are easy on the shoulder and I'm getting tight groups with both. Fed. Truballs are cloverleafing for me at 50 yds.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think they police mag doesn't come with the cross bolt safety, does the tactical?

Remington's come with the crossbolt safety, and it can be modified so it can be lefty friendly, and its a great shotgun. I do prefer the 590A1 over it for the fact that their safety is ambi, and is operated by the thumb, not trigger finger.