home invasion story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shared this with the wife... she is always putting my guns "away" in the safe. Of course, my son has friends come over. We need to find a happy medium... someplace to hide a couple of them around the house where no one knows they are around except me and her.

And also talked to her about carrying in the house. She is very active, always working around the house and she says it would get in the way, but she is just going to have to learn to get used to it. So am I, honestly. I am guilty of taking mine off and putting it on top of the fridge when I come home - they're heavy. And how do I wear one when I'm wearing "lounge pants" - you know, those flannel-like long pants, almost like pajama bottoms? Man, when I'm home, I spend most of my time in those comfortable, stretchy things.

We gotta work on preparedness some more.

<edit> We talked about the long gun thing, too. Gonna keep an AR locked and loaded and probably a shotgun, too. Those will stay in the bedroom, she's just gonna have to lock the bedroom when kids are over. I gotta put my foot down, she keeps locking them back in the safe, which is the worst feckin' place for a home defense scenario.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shared this with the wife... she is always putting my guns "away" in the safe. Of course, my son has friends come over. We need to find a happy medium... someplace to hide a couple of them around the house where no one knows they are around except me and her.

And also talked to her about carrying in the house. She is very active, always working around the house and she says it would get in the way, but she is just going to have to learn to get used to it. So am I, honestly. I am guilty of taking mine off and putting it on top of the fridge when I come home - they're heavy. And how do I wear one when I'm wearing "lounge pants" - you know, those flannel-like long pants, almost like pajama bottoms? Man, when I'm home, I spend most of my time in those comfortable, stretchy things.

<edit> We talked about the long gun thing, too. Gonna keep an AR locked and loaded and probably a shotgun, too. Those will stay in the bedroom, she's just gonna have to lock the bedroom when kids are over. I gotta put my foot down, she keeps locking them back in the safe, which is the worst feckin' place for a home defense scenario.
Yeah, dealing with other kids that come into your home is a tricky one. I've spent a great deal of time thinking and worrying about that one as well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We usually just lock them up in the safe, but I think we need to just put a different kind of lock on our bedroom door. I don't like having my HD weapons in the safe all the time, and remembering to pull them out and put them back in their "normal" spot is spotty at best. Hence, why I just went through and pulled out a 12g and an AR, changed out sight batteries and reloaded mags. We've been slacking. I've been wearing my 1911 all day today, even in the house. I gotta get back in the habit of carrying more. Of course, when you can't carry at work, and it's uncomfortable when driving long distances, and that's all you do, well... you get out of the habit pretty quickly.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fired a warning shot as someone is trying to come through the door.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever fire a warning shot if they REALLY felt their life was in danger.

Opens yourself up to a question on if you were actually in fear. I have 19+1 rounds and I'm not wasting any.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Above the fridge is a really good spot, kids can't see it and it's easy to grab.

Check out this, they aren't cheap and could be built yourself, but nobody has a clue I have an AR in the house a few feet away.
https://tacticalwalls.com/

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Above the fridge is a really good spot, kids can't see it and it's easy to grab.

Check out this, they aren't cheap and could be built yourself, but nobody has a clue I have an AR in the house a few feet away.
https://tacticalwalls.com/

Yeah the fridge used to be... unfortunately, my son is getting old enough, and his friends are taller, so they can see above the fridge now. Hell, couple of his friends are taller than my wife. Actually, they can only see well to the top when they back a few feet away, but they could reach it if they wanted to. Not worth the risk.

I like those cabinets, though... gonna seriously look into those.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the fridge used to be... unfortunately, my son is getting old enough, and his friends are taller, so they can see above the fridge now. Hell, couple of his friends are taller than my wife. Actually, they can only see well to the top when they back a few feet away, but they could reach it if they wanted to. Not worth the risk.

I like those cabinets, though... gonna seriously look into those.

We love ours, when I show it to close friends they freak out. Had no idea it wasn't just a normal mirror. Keep my SBR with can on it and handful of mags.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like it would be pretty thick - like 4-6" deep... it doesn't stand out as "more than a mirror"? That was my concern. I actually thought about building in hidden panels in the walls with press-to-release magnetic locks in places. This would certainly be easier, but I just assumed anything deep enough to hold a gun (especially a rifle) would stand out as being too "deep" to be a simple mirror and seem suspiciously more like something else - like what it really is, a hiding place.

<edit> Ooooh, I see now. It actually DOES fit in a cutout in the sheetrock, so it's recessed in the wall. That's the way to go. Absolutely.

Last edited:

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to stick out 2 inches from the wall. It looks like a heavy wood mirror.

Attachments

• IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 167

Latest posts

Top Bottom