Home Made Laundry soap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys, I recognize this is not the manliest of subjects, but it is a real saver. Imagine whoever shops probably pays $15-20 jug for good laundry soap. This stuff makes for pennies a load, it is easy and fun to make.

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
•1 bar of Fels Naptha soap (nonfragrant soap: like ivory works fine also. The naptha is the best imho, shaved
•4 cups of hot water to melt the soap
•3 gallons of hot water
•1 cup of borax
•2 cups of washing soda
•1 cup of baking soda
•1 large Rubbermaid container about 4-5 gallons size
Here’s what you do:
Grate the soap into a saucepan. You can use either a box grater or a food processor for this. I recommend you do not use whatever tool you use for grating soap with food. I was able to buy an extra food processor very inexpensively at a thrift store.

Add 4 cups of hot water to the pan. Simmer on low until the soap melts completely into the water.

Add borax, washing soda and baking soda to the hot water. Simmer on low until it desolves with the soap. If the mixture is not melting, add more water if needed.

Add 3 gallons of hot water to the large container. Add the mixture to the hot water. Mix with a large spoon until it
completely dissolves.
Let cool overnight. You will notice that it turns into a thick gel. Use 1 cup of this homemade laundry detergent per load of laundry[/COLOR]I was skeptical as I am a tide or at least high quality soap kind of guy. With 5 kids, we do tons of laundry every week, but still good soap is important as it helps you clothes last, and keep them clean.

If you get a chance, or are interested..here is the recipe: Home depot orange lidded bucket for a couple of bucks is what we use to make, it then goes in gallon milk jugs for conveniant use.

To put it in man terms...good soap, made at home, keeps money in your coffers, thus more self indulgent possibilities for us :)

If you wife is skeptical, (tons of stories online for verification) try it out...you are only out $10 to get setup, but once so, you can many gallons for cheap. We haven't bought store soap in 6 months or better. It works great.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey SSGRock ... I have a couple of bars of FelsNaptha if you want them. I did the math and only buy my laundry soap at Family Dollar when I get a Spend $25, Get $5 off coupon in their flyer. I just can't make it cheaper than I can buy Surf Laundry soap when I do that.

Is a good tip though ... I am pretty sure GC and I don't go through as much laundry soap and you guys do in a month! LOL I think there are 8 or 9 96-load jugs of soap out in the garage as I type. :rolleyes2

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to help my Granny make soap every Fall. I don't remember much about it, but it involved a hog and a big cast iron pot. :)

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My great aunt still make Lye soap from animal fat and whatever else she uses. Its amazing stuff, still the best soap as far as I am concerned. Its a family recipe that is centuries old.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We've been using this soap for about 6 months and although clothes and sheets seem soft and clean, i don't think the solution gets out the oils. Things like collars and sheets, white t-shirts is where i noticed it.
I noticed the other day that a few thing were looking dingy and brought it to my wifes attention. We r going to try some storebought detergent and see if the dinginess will clean up or may need to use something like spraynwash if it's not too late.

Latest posts

Top Bottom