House Votes to Cut TSA's Budget by $270 Million

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10% is window dressing. Makes the republicans look great but I wouldn't be surprised if TSA gets their 10% back indirectly from some other agency.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The situation is a lot worse than we may think or have been told, (typical) and some might contend that the only reason it's come to the surface is because a couple of states are "bucking up" so it now might become a control issue between the states and Fed.
From the article link below,
[States and local authorities across the country need to follow the example of New Jersey and introduce legislation immediately to kick the TSA out of airports and replace them with private security]

Show me one state that has taken serious, effective action?

Nobody, including Congress is paying more than lip service to this in an effort to appear like they are doing something.....

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nobody, including Congress is paying more than lip service to this in an effort to appear like they are doing something.....

What Congress does best.....also see border security.......lots of oral flatulence, while thousands still stream over like walking into Wal-Mart.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocktogo,

I was leaning more towards your rebutting the people comparing the TSA to thieves and such, but since this is the regular fare for OSA I could see how you'd be tired of doing that :)

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I said two states were "bucking up", (talking big) are they serious? I don't know.
Has it been effective? No, and I never even implied it was, I said it appeared like the fed./state dispute, (not the original issues) is what had gained attention and brought the subject up again.

I admit you may very well be correct with your statement regarding "Lip service", good acting wins votes, too bad it doesn't solve any problems. Whatever it is maybe we're going to hear more of it since Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst has supposedly changed his mind again, and Utah is said to be doing the same.

Texas TSA pat down ban may be back
By Keith Laing - 06/02/11 02:18 PM ET

Texas lawmakers may reconsider a bill to outlaw controversial airport pat-downs, the sponsor of legislation that was shelved recently said this week.

Texas state Rep. David Simpson (R) said that Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst reportedly asked Gov. Rick Perry to include the measure in a special session of the Texas legislature. Dewhurst reported asked lawmakers to withdraw the bill when federal officials threatened to cancel flights to Texas if it passed.

But he has since had a change of heart, Simpson told fans on his Facebook page.

"The Lt. Gov. sent a letter to Gov. Perry asking him to include the TSA bill HB 1937 in the special session!," Simpson wrote on the website. "Please call the Governor and tell him you agree with Lt. Gov. Dewhurst!"

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/tsa/164459-texas-tsa-pat-down-ban-may-be-back

Utah lawmaker revives TSA pat-down ban
By Keith Laing - 05/27/11 11:55 AM ET

A Utah lawmaker has filed a bill to ban controversial airport pat-downs that had been considered by Texas before lawmakers there relented.

The Texas House of Representatives had passed a bill that would have made it illegal for Transportation Security Administration agents to perform hand searches at airport security checkpoints unless there was probable cause. But Texas senators got cold feet after the U.S. Attorney General's office threatened to cancel flights to the state if the bill passed.

Prior to that, Utah state Rep. Carl Wimmer (R) said he filed a similar measure for next year in his state.

"Opened a bill file today which will prohibit TSA pat downs in Utah without reasonable suspicion," Wimmer wrote on his Facebook page this week. "Texas needs us to stand with them."

http://thehill.com/blogs/transporta...utah-lawmaker-revives-tsa-pat-down-ban?page=2

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocktogo,

I was leaning more towards your rebutting the people comparing the TSA to thieves and such, but since this is the regular fare for OSA I could see how you'd be tired of doing that :)

Anytime you have a pool of 50,000 employees, you're going to have people who will take advantage of their position. It doesn't matter if it's an FBI agent doing espionage, a doctor selling drug prescriptions, an airline employee smuggling drugs or a TSA screener committing theft. You'd be surprised how many military personnel rob the DoD blind or use their "network" to smuggle illegal stuff. It's usually called the 10%'ers, but I'd venture a guess that it's well below 10% in the TSA.

Bashing the TSA is a popular pastime, I see no need to rebuke those that do it. If the citizens of this country get the TSA abolished, so be it. It's not like they're really going to eliminate screening of airline passengers, but it might make them feel like they've regained a small measure of control in their lives. After all, it's nothing more than "security theater". :)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I said two states were "bucking up", (talking big) are they serious? I don't know.
Has it been effective? No, and I never even implied it was, I said it appeared like the fed./state dispute, (not the original issues) is what had gained attention and brought the subject up again.

[/url]

Oh I know, wasn't really taking issue with you. Just commenting that nobody has taken serious action. Even with a couple states bucking up, and falling short, the Feds aren't getting the message and won't until real action is actually taken....like Texas following through with it's earlier threat to criminalize invasive searches.

Nothing, absolutely nothing will change until the States start fighting back....

Latest posts

Top Bottom