How about a 44 mag 4-inch for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably go with a Freedom Arms in .454. I shot one last week. They are a handful, but if you are comfortable with a .44 Mag, it is entirely manageable. Felt recoil wasn't nearly as much as I expected, though there is a lot of muzzle flip.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 4", 44 mag would be a fine choice. I spent 4 years hunting, fishing and exploring Alaska and my constant companion was a S&W .41 Mag. I never felt undergunned but I did exercise caution, at all times.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just as an alternative,one of the most effective bear "stoppers" is OC spray.That's what it was originally designed for.One of thse "industrial" size cans that looks like a small fire extinguisher and has 2,000,000 SHU will stop a bear in his tracks and send him running.They have a large volume spray and at least 20 feet range. Steve

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as an alternative,one of the most effective bear "stoppers" is OC spray.That's what it was originally designed for.One of thse "industrial" size cans that looks like a small fire extinguisher and has 2,000,000 SHU will stop a bear in his tracks and send him running.They have a large volume spray and at least 20 feet range. Steve

+1 since you can get this for about $50 compared to $400+ for a gun that won't get used much. The only thing I would be worried about is if you have to spray it into the wind, I got some of the stuff on my skin before without realizing and transferred it to my eyes, it wasn't very pleasant.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1 since you can get this for about $50 compared to $400+ for a gun that won't get used much. The only thing I would be worried about is if you have to spray it into the wind, I got some of the stuff on my skin before without realizing and transferred it to my eyes, it wasn't very pleasant.

That's a risk dealing with 2 legged predators in an urban environment also. Steve

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 4" 44 mag. would be a whole lot better than trying to jab a stick in his mouth when he had you knocked on your back. At least that's what I think. I've never been in that exact position. Although, I once had an 800# show steer try to trample me into the dirt for about 15 seconds. He never did take to being halter broke and he convienced me to quit trying. As I remember, all I could do was wish he would stop! He made real good hamburger. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom