How about a 44 mag 4-inch for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the bear takes it away from you and sticks it where the sun don't shine, it won't hurt as much as a 500 would. But make sure you bob the hammer.

Just kidding. .44 mag was THE handgun to have before they came out with the .454 Casull and bigger. But I'd want at least a 6" barrel. Not that it would help that much, but it's two more inches it has to get by before gnawing on you.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Key part of this thread.The best bear defense is to avoid bears and if they want your game or your fish, let them have it and back away slowly. Steve

Not to mention that the bear has the right of way. It's illegal in Alaska to kill a bear that's trying to take your game away from you.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like 4" 620's. Mine is no-dash that was ported and tune by MagNaPort. Has one of the smmmmooooothest actions of any revolver I have ever shot.
It will work in Alaska on bears BUT just make sure you can run faster than whoever you are hiking with.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Please be advised that there have been an increased number of incidents of contacts with bears. Campers and hikers should use caution and avoid these animals, particularly in remote areas. Be sure to affix small bells to your clothes and obtain a can of pepper spray before going into the woods.
Person traveling on foot in the woods should be aware of signs of both Black and Grizzly bears, including their feces:
· Black bear scat usually contains berry seeds and bits of squirrel fur.
· Grizzly bear scat often contains small bells and smells like pepper. "

Bu seriously, if I was walking around Alaska I'd get a S&W 329 PD .44 Magnum. Light enough to carry around and not leave it behind, and I don't think I'd notice the extremely sharp recoil if I had to use it in against a bear.

oklajim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Taurus 44 MAG ultralite, it's easy to carry and packs a punch. A scandium S&W is a nice revolver too but very expensive. I also agree with the previous post about bear spray. It has been proven more effective at stopping bear attacks than firearms.

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.44 is a very nice hand gun... I have met folks that swear that they took down a bear with a .44 - but you really don't want to be off when dealing with bears. I was a LEO in the great white north and da'bears are big up there. But if you go up every summer.. you know that.

However a 12 gauge loaded with a .72cal one ounce slug is a very good bear stopper. Myself and other LEO's I knew carried a 18" 870 with folding stock during most trips off the beaten path. Hope that helps.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad is on the hunt for a S&W XVR 460 right now for this very reason. They have land up in Alaska and he wants to have a good bear gun with him while he is in the back country.

mountain287

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just my opinion....and you what they say about opinions. You should buy the biggest pistol you can handle. You can buy a .500, but if you can't hit anything with it........

I was at local (okc) gun shop last month. A man and his wife were there to purchase a handgun for protection against bears while fishing in Colorado. The talked/scared him into buying a .500 s&w Mag. This guy knew very little about firearms and apparently less about the grizzly population in Colorado.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is just my opinion....and you what they say about opinions. You should buy the biggest pistol you can handle. You can buy a .500, but if you can't hit anything with it........

I was at local (okc) gun shop last month. A man and his wife were there to purchase a handgun for protection against bears while fishing in Colorado. The talked/scared him into buying a .500 s&w Mag. This guy knew very little about firearms and apparently less about the grizzly population in Colorado.

Might be able to pick that one up cheap, once he figures out that cannon kicks too much.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I would be comfortable carrying a Smith and Wesson 629 or mountain gun, or Ruger red hawk. Of course if I was attacked by a grizzly I would dearly wish for a 12 gauge loaded with slugs, but it wouldn't be very comfortable to carry around all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom