How about a 44 mag 4-inch for Alaska?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack5522

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .44 Mag (and the .45 Colt for that matter) have worked well against big bears for years. Its not a rifle or shotgun...or a .500 S&W for that matter, but it will get the job done. I think it's a great choice, remember accuracy is everything.

The Rugers are going to be one of the strongest options out there. Either the Redhawk or Super Blackhawk...most people seem to lean toward a DA for defense. I'm pretty comfortable with the SA. Another great choice would be a S&W Mountain Gun. Obviously make sure the load is safe for your gun....but a heavy, solid bullet like a 300 gr Keith loaded hot would be the way to go IMO.

I agree the Rugers can handle just about any load you can throw at them , if you are a hand loader I would recomend 300 gr. hornady xtp's loaded hot . I have personaly used them on bear with great results , have also used the 158gr xtp's in 357 mag on black bear (very devastating)

Reaction score
A 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt is strong enough to be loaded a good ways up toward .454 casull, and more than .44 mag can be loaded to, due to lower pressure from larger case size - yet still have reasonable handling characteristics - clears leather fast. The best gun and chambering is the one you shoot best, rapidly AND accurately, under pressure, in .357 mag or larger, for something like a brown bear. But in a vacuum, something like a 4" redhawk .45 colt is just about ideal - a bit heavy though, to lug a long ways. If you're huntin or fishin purt' near the pickup truck, it'd be a good choice, I reckon. I have a SW Mountain Gun 4" .45 Colt, but I wouldn't go over the Buffalo Bore "+P" type ammo in the Smith.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My big issue would be with the 4-inch barrel. The velocity to barrel length relationship on a .44 when using a slow burning powder such as 296(H110) or lil' gun is very critical. with a hard cast 315 grain bullet stuck way out to 1.730 and 20+ grains of compressed powder is not going to give you the velocity you are looking for out of a 4 inch revolver....but it might blind the bear. If you insist on carrying a 4-inch revolver i would chose any of the larger calibers hands down, but then you will have what is effectively a niche gun. I personally would just carry a long barreled .44. you can hip or leg holster it and it is not bad to carry, of course i am fat so my extra leg padding helps. And believe me when i say a 9 1/2 inch barreled Super Redhawk can be a formidable weapon even when you are out of ammunition.Then you also get the added advantage of having an accurate pistol you can hunt with. just my 2 cents.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't spend too much unless it's a gun you want already. I just came back from the Kenai Penn. and we didn't see bear one. We hiked all over the Russian River/Lake area toting my uncle's 454, and all sorts of folks said "watch out for bears" because they're so common in that area. All we saw was a pile of poop and it wasn't even that fresh. I'm not saying you shouldn't prepare, but if your boys are both packing and you guys are together you'll be fine, just pick up a can of bear spray and make some noise.

FYI: Amongst the folks that I talked to up there that live there year round, they all said 454 is the small end. I saw a guy toting a shotgun and that is way too cumbersome, do not go that route.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It makies my handies hurt. Shot some through my 4" Redhawk. I don't like recoil.

BLASPHEMY!!! Bite your tounge.

I love my 4" Hawk in .45 LC. I would carry it with hardcast in bear country. 99.% because it would make me feel better, not because I think I could save myself from a grizz with it. If worse comes to worse, it weighs a metric shi*ton, beat the bear about the face while he eats your other arm.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_033_1.jpg

Me too! It don't hurt...It feels goooood!
[Broken External Image]

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Redhawk and a Super Redhawk, both in .44 mag. They are 7 1/2 inch barrel guns. If I were to go to Alaska, I would consider them on the low side of marginal, even loaded with big lead flat ended 300 grain bullets. The chance of you needing such a thing is not large, but it's not worth the risk. I would look at a little longer barrel than the four inch, and at the biggest load I could find. .458, .500, etc. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom