HOW DO YOU CLEAN CANS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on what type of material your baffles and outer body is made from. Consult your mfg for the proper procedure and solution to be used. All I use are TBAC cans (7) and have been cleaning them for over a decade now without issues. They are all cleaned (using the mfg recommended procedure) on scheduled rd count depending on caliber and brought back to original weights or very very close. Yes I take it very serious as I only shot suppressed and will consume 4-6k bullets/yr. Cleaning your cans IS necessary if you shoot them a lot.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build a PVC tube that will hold your can with a cap. Mix 50/50 apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Place can in tube and fill the tube all the way up. let soak for about a half hour shaking the tube every once in a while...that's why the cap. Take it out, rinse really well and blow out with compressed air...NOTE!! don't get any of the liquid on your bare skin. You have made lead acetate and it WILL penetrate skin wear gloves and don't breath in the vapor. This is how several manufacturers clean the cans sent back.
Have you used this on titanium baffles?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, drug store hydrogen peroxide at room temp just isn't that corrosive to Titanium, but I'm sure folks will disagree with that, but yes I have and will continue to clean this way. I usually go by weight as to when it needs cleaning. If your 15oz can weighs around 20oz. I'd clean it, one way or another.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, drug store hydrogen peroxide at room temp just isn't that corrosive to Titanium, but I'm sure folks will disagree with that, but yes I have and will continue to clean this way. I usually go by weight as to when it needs cleaning. If your 15oz can weighs around 20oz. I'd clean it, one way or another.
Interesting for sure, you mind stating the names of your cans that you use this method? TIA

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surefire, Thunderbeast, and Lane. The 22 suppressor can be disassembled, but I still soak it in this mixture to clean, but its steel and aluminum. Do what you want, clean don't clean, sorta clean or send them back, but when they get heavy they really do need something.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surefire, Thunderbeast, and Lane. The 22 suppressor can be disassembled, but I still soak it in this mixture to clean, but its steel and aluminum. Do what you want, clean don't clean, sorta clean or send them back, but when they get heavy they really do need something.
Pardnur I couldn’t agree with you more on the cleaning schedule and I also go by wt. All of my cans are on a specific rd depending on caliber and powders used. I only have TBAC cans (7) and Ray told me to use CLR and that’s what I have been using for 10yrs. I was just curious and interested, that’s all and I don’t have a 22 can yet (been putting it off) cause I really didn’t know how to do with the lead/carbon issue. Thanks for sharing your info.

Last edited:

scramp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the attached soda blasting set up. I have a 20 gal. compressor and the smaller equipment works for me. It doesn't degrade the metal or labeling. It works really quickly. The less material you use the better it works. It also makes it easier to see what needs more work.

I suit up with a respirator, googles, rubber gloves and apron. I wipe it all own with a Hoppes dampened rag.

There's a suppressor company video that evaluates all the different ways to clean them an soda looks to be the most effective with little of no downsides.

Hopes this helps someone with this PITA task.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-LAC-Abrasive-Spray/dp/B00397KN7Q

https://www.eastwood.com/media-for-soda-blast-intro-kit.html

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CLR is good, and old Raydog would know. Zak and I have talked about it and H2O2 and vinegar work well, just don't heat it. CLR certainly doesn't generate lead acetate so it's a good way as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom