Appendix carry pros/cons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, starting to think some of you gents just like typing the word 'dick". Holechit covered the cons there pretty well without the repitition, :bolt: :cool:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can comfortably carry a Sig P220 SAS appendix style. The fact that it is a double action hammer fired weapon with the hammer down would require an extraordinary set of circumstances for an AD while carrying. I do not attempt to cock it while drawing as I suppose someone somewhere on the interwebs thinks is a good training practice.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mean if you've got the room......

Fat AK.gif

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been an "open carry kinda fella." (I don't mind those that do one bit) Not for some of the reasons you sometimes hear. Like, "I don't want to advertise that I have a weapon." Or, "I want someone to see it as a deterrent." etc.... I just don't have any training on firearm retention. However, I've got a lil P365 that I usually carry in a Blacksmith tactical AIWB holster. What are the pro's and cons that you all see with this method of carry vs others? As always thanks in advance!
I carry a G47 in a grayman solutions holster. I weigh a whopping 155lbs. (I dont care if I print because people rarely want to look at you anyway). I like it because you cant get my gun off of me very easily from any direction, its not impossible, but youre going to have to really work for it. Its always close and I can passively draw my gun without drawing a lot of attention to myself if the situation requires that. Driving or sitting, it doesnt jab me or hurt me at all. I feel the load distribution is less painful on my hips and back in every position, running, or grappling. I dont like to declare one carry position is better than others because a guy who trains OWB vs a IWB guy who never trains…. Training and habitual response trumps just about everything! Retention training is a good thing to get, its pretty simple if the gun is still in the holster, it becomes a game of chance and opportunity if someone gets your gun out of your holster.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feel free to beat me up over this one. But, I would like to learn something in the process. Seems most of the apprehension toward appendix carry position is due to negligent discharge of the firearm. I can wrap my mind around this during drawing and holstering. Due to not clearing a cover garment or what have you. However, growing up we have all heard the stories of "the gun just went off." This is something I have never had happen to me btw. But, Speaking in the vein of a modern "quality" firearm, has anyone had an experience with this? I understand the comfort being better with a revolver vs others, due to the lack of stored energy(hammer at rest). I'm more proficient with my 365 vs the 642. Thoughts? Sorry if I didn't articulate this well.
Everyone who NDs handguns or any gun for the matter has done one thing incorrectly… they applied pressure to the trigger on a loaded chamber on a target they werent willing to destroy.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My preference is IWB or OWB somewhere around the 7-8 o’clock position. I’d much rather lose a chunk of my butt that my bosses or ex-wives haven’t taken than the obvious from the front side.

Also, consider the damage if shot in that area. It would be VERY difficult to treat even if a doctor was standing right beside you.

Losing the obvious, major damage to intestines which in turn could lead to some serious infections and arterial damage and very rapid blood loss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom