How do you switch from a Standard Transmission to to an Automatic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could see if Gear Vendors makes an overdrive for it. It'd be north of $3k I'm sure but it might do what you're looking for. I've never had one but from what I understand they operate much like the splitters in old wheat trucks.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say leave the truck mostly as designed. Sell it and buy something different. Maybe a 99-03 Chevy if the old Ford isn't to your liking. The old fords are built to go long not fast.
I had a 93 F-250 with the ZF 5 speed - 400+k on original trans (zero problems) - then I foolishly sold it, but yes, they go “long”

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ZF5 5 speed transmission in my old Ford is awesome. Not a darn thing wring with it. But I want speed. I want better gas mileage. Any ideas how I could go about sticking a C6 transmission in it?

Or should I sell to one of you guys and buy a 1/2 ton? Lol
You have to remove bell housing, flywheel and pilot bearing to accept auto. May need an adapter plate. Also crossmember, driveshaft and rear end gears (different ratio) floor shift and trans cooler. Might as well buy another vehicle unless you happen to have these parts already.

Latest posts

Top Bottom