How is everyone CC these days? (body placement)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ironically Mexican carry came about when tyrannical governments started popping up in Mexico and restricted the ability for citizens to own guns, the vaqueros began tucking their pistols in their waistband under their vest to maintain their arms without drawing the unneeded attention of an exposed holster.
Where’s the irony in that

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t posted much (any!) but I have tried several different EDC pistols and positions. I know you don’t have to worry about printing anymore in OK but always felt I was on my hip. I can also draw faster from appendix but I’m sure with practice both works. I tried several different carry guns:

Beretta Nano (not bad, heavy trigger, low pro sights, low capacity, easy to conceal, my pinky didn’t fit)
Beretta PX4 Sub Compact (SA/DA so trigger was great, manual safety, good capacity, too thick)
Walther PPS (Very nice, striker, night sights, feels great in hand, low capacity)
FN 503 (Also very nice, striker, I like the trigger, low capacity, a little hard to draw)

I’m sure I‘ll start an argument but I’m convinced that a carry gun should not have a trigger or a hammer. I’ve come to the conclusion that the less you have to worry about in a stressful situation the better. And God help you if you don’t carry a round in the pipe!

I’ve landed on the Sig P365XL with the Romeo Zero red dot. I carry in a Phalanx Concealment kydex holster in appendix carry. I love Phalanx’s holsters. The sig can now hold 17 rounds and has been flawless. I’m getting older and have reading glasses. I can either see my sights or my target but not both!! I’ve found myself gravitating to red dots to solve this problem. Quick target acquisition and dead accurate. I put a hogue rubber grip on and love how it feels in my hand. I still practice with irons but can’t beat my performance with a red dot.

I’ve been carrying for some time now and have a CCW license but finally committed to carrying everywhere. Even without the sensationalized news you can get the feeling that nowhere is safe. I used to think I didn’t need to carry because I wasn’t going anywhere dangerous. Then I thought, I’ll probably never have to use it and pray that I don’t but it would suck to need one and not have one. I keep my Walther PPS in my car at all times with an appendix kydex holster so that if I’m making a short trip and forget to bring my Sig I’ve got one I can easily clip on and carry. I’m starting to think it’s the 5 minute run to the store that’s going to get you!

Anyway - long story but I’ve come to prefer appendix. I like Phalanx Concealment holsters but also like Urban Carry with their leather hybrid with a kydex clip and have been looking at Versa Carry as well.

I don’t worry too much about kydex scratching up the gun. The Phalanx doesn’t do that and I was once told to be wary of the guy whose gun is scratched up from practicing drawing it all the time!
When I shop for jeans, shorts or dress slacks I alway make sure my XL hands fit into the front pockets easily and make sure the pocket is deep enough to hide the grip and loose enough I dont shadow the outline of my CC. I am currently using a Kimber Micro 9 and its easy to conceal like that. Now that coat weather has set in I can carry a larger high cap pistol in my coat pocket. I have never found a holster that fits me well and reaching in my pocket works well for me. Maybe a little slower than a holster but I have carried that way for decades and being hard of hearing, I dont have to worry about someone sneaking up and taking my pistol from behind. I have used the soft holster for pocket carry but that seemed to make my pocket look swelled up and noticeable something was in my pocket.

Rick Terhune

Hawkeye68
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AIWB all the time now. Glock 43 in a DeSantis Inside Heat on light clothing days. Glock 48 with a Romeo Zero Elite red dot in an LAS Concealment holster (Shogun) On colder heavier clothing days. Really cold days include an S&W 642 PC edition in the jacket in a Kramer pocket holster.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all depends on the weather and what I'm wearing. Leather vest with Kimber Ultra CDP 45 in the inside pocket or sometimes same gun OWB 4 o'clock with good cover or Kimber 380 rapter in the front pants pocket if I want deep conceal or Taurus Judge OWB when I'm in snake country

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we've established that for the most part, folks who appendix carry do so with subcompact guns, or they spend the majority of the day on their feet. It certainly DOES make a difference. It's certainly true that the majority of appendix carry guys are on the slim side also. I'm pretty skinny, but it just doesn't work for me. Been carrying at 4:30, strong side for more than 25 years now, and not about F up my muscle memory just for a slightly faster draw. ( I also don't swap out gun flavors. Once I've chosen a carry weapon, that's it) It can be argued that being able to draw surreptitiously behind your back can be just as advantageous as a quicker draw. I cannot count the number of times I've felt it prudent to do that...without ever having to actually present my gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom