How much is my 1969 Russian AK-47 worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ak.jpg

Looks like the same rifle, guy tried to sell it Nov 2 and then again on Nov 3rd. Auction ended with no bids and no reserve.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
and honestly, if you've held guns for several years, and you get the itch to sell, if you want MAX value the reality you have to wait until several factors are at play:

>political strife
>democrat control of all branches
>musings of assault weapon/hi cap bans
>a recent tragedy involving guns

some of things are def in play, but there's also the fact that EVERY retailer AND every consumer just spent like the entire covid period stocking up *in addition* to what they already had. lots of people who had surplus sold off during this period, and they possibly trying to restock now. gun prices have fallen to pre covid levels, but ammo has not.

what i've seen, it all goes in cycles. if you're looking to sell, you gotta sell when the market is hot. otherwise you are going to take less than those top dollar gunjoker sales that are like i said someone who just doesn't want to bother with gun shows or hyper vigilantly f5'ing sites like this to find their unicorn gun; they just want it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
not to mention once people pay x amount on a gun it kinda becomes a "collector" and not a "shooter". you see this nomenclature a LOT in higher end buyers lexicon. people will have different opinions on the current price of a "shooter" grade collectors gun (ie something that is old, not in production, subject to bans, grandfathered in, etc etc) vs a "collectors" grade.

and to be honest, if i were to buy ANY of the dream guns i've referred to in the classifieds right now, i mean.....i'd HAVE to shoot them....but like.....yeah i'm not taking them out every time. and some people wouldn't have to shoot them. they wouldn't even want to break them down. i think some people buy a collectors grade firearm, clean it once, put it in the safe.

i mean realistically that's what we all do. that was the beauty of a $299 saiga, a $50 wasr, a $75 sks. combined with that fact that 5.45 7n6 was *the absolute cheapest rifle ammo i could buy for a considerable time* well....those guns were things you could SHOOT. and people did. that's why i like to find unconverted saigas because i assume they've been shot less. i'm tellin' ya, people bump fired those babies lol. wild to see the value on them now, but hey i get it. but if you find one with a little smoldering on the handguard.....you'll know lol

but now? paying like $2k for a saiga? i don't know how much people shoot them. i mean again, not like we shot them lol.

paying $3k for a kit build that has limited rounds thru the barrel? probably not shooting that much.

people here want shooters. you see guns that are meant to be shot, even pricey premium ones, move pretty quick.

"collector" grade stuff, tho nice and premium on other markets, just don't take here. (that's why i snag 'em up when i get the chance....)

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been selling guns a long time. Last year when I relocated from Charlotte North Carolina, I sold half my collection, never an issue selling. Unfortunately I sold all my AK's right before Covid. After Covid hit, they pretty much doubled in price, so its a great market for AKs. North Carolina is a whole different market, guns sell very fast. My only advice for you is Gunbroker, you can pretty get max dollars for any sale, but... now and days shipping is a PITA. UPS does not ship firearms, or parts anymore. Last rifle I sold was a few months ago when UPS changed thier rules, and I ended up paying 3x for shipping from an FFL. I am currently not dealing with selling at this point, it's ridiculous

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been selling guns a long time. Last year when I relocated from Charlotte North Carolina, I sold half my collection, never an issue selling. Unfortunately I sold all my AK's right before Covid. After Covid hit, they pretty much doubled in price, so its a great market for AKs. North Carolina is a whole different market, guns sell very fast. My only advice for you is Gunbroker, you can pretty get max dollars for any sale, but... now and days shipping is a PITA. UPS does not ship firearms, or parts anymore. Last rifle I sold was a few months ago when UPS changed thier rules, and I ended up paying 3x for shipping from an FFL. I am currently not dealing with selling at this point, it's ridiculous

The shipping changes for Fed Ex and UPS were a result of pressure applied by the feds to combat teh Ghost guns etc. It's caused all kinds of problems for even small FFL dealers .

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This is a terrible place to sell AKs in my experience. Tulsa has been a gunshow haven for decades. It is not a myth or an overstatement to say that in the 90s you really could get all kinds of AKs for almost nothing at the Wannamacher. SKS was $50-$100. AKs closer to $200. I didn’t know people even collected individual rifles until I was in my 30s. Edit: I forgot to address your question, but I don’t know what your gun is worth. I thought people were saying “Sega” for most of my life.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me tell you about the wife's Beanie Baby collection I would trade for it.

What? Everyone is tired of the sword jokes. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom