How popular is Crimson Trace with LE folk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most departments have guidelines as to what you can and cannot use. Alot that i know of don't allow the use of lasers and some even flashlights on duty weapons with the exception of ar's or if your on a swat or special response team. Bigger dept's have to go through their armory and in a situation that you have to use the weapon it becomes a liability issue seeing as the shark attorney will probably give some insight as to you adding all these cool gadgets because you are looking for a fight or want to kill someone. Personally just some good ole night sights and a handy led flashlight on your belt are all you need.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A laser is not a good thing in my opinion. Ive seen too many people who use them look at the dot instead of the front sight of their gun and do nothing but promote bad handgun handling skills. A laser is not a subsititue for the front sight and should never be used that way. They tell the bad guy right where you are destroying any tactical advantage you might have. Now having said that I will say there is a tremendous psycological deterant when someone sees a red dot on their chest and it is probably enough to end any conflict (in an CCW role). They are great for when you are doing dry fire practice and really let you see how much your moving your muzzle. Other than training I don't think they should be used by LE. Just my opinion and it is only one of many.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A laser is not a good thing in my opinion. Ive seen too many people who use them look at the dot instead of the front sight of their gun and do nothing but promote bad handgun handling skills. A laser is not a subsititue for the front sight and should never be used that way. They tell the bad guy right where you are destroying any tactical advantage you might have. Now having said that I will say there is a tremendous psycological deterant when someone sees a red dot on their chest and it is probably enough to end any conflict (in an CCW role). They are great for when you are doing dry fire practice and really let you see how much your moving your muzzle. Other than training I don't think they should be used by LE. Just my opinion and it is only one of many.
Although I'm not in LE, I would tend to agree with your post.....maybe with the exception of the psycological deterant aspect. It certainly looks good on film but is the BG really looking down at his chest in a high pressure situation? :)

Echoing your opinion about promoting bad handgun handling skills, one must keep in mind that the laser is just another mechanism which could fail at the moment of truth leaving the shooter to fall back on the gun's traditional sights....and in the midst of real world action the transition would simply take too long to be practical.

Now, I can see some merit in using them in conjunction with traditional sights but something tells me the attractiveness of the laser dot would create sight picture laziness whether intended or not. :anyone:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree...Ive seen laser sights get knocked off zero and be way off....I would never trust one they do fail.

As far as putting the "dot" on a BG as a deterrent, I'd think the most practical application would be to aim for the eyes....and ya' got a flashlight for that. :teach:

Right?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as putting the "dot" on a BG as a deterrent, I'd think the most practical application would be to aim for the eyes....and ya' got a flashlight for that. :teach:

Right?

They SHOULD have! :nono1: I could preach and preach on the importance of a flashlight until I'm blue in the face. :blahblah:

But of course...that's another story. ;)

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lived in a few places since sighting lasers have come on the market....never known any LEO anyplace I've been to use one.

They drive me crazy too.....I could have had you "shot" by the time I find the dot. A good HI intensity flashlight is a must if you carry a pistol in dark places.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have and never will use one on my duty weapon. The only guys that have them in our agency are the TAC Team and there's are infrared for when they use their night vision.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lived in a few places since sighting lasers have come on the market....never known any LEO anyplace I've been to use one.

They drive me crazy too.....I could have had you "shot" A DOZEN TIMES by the time I find the dot. A good HI intensity flashlight is a must if you carry a pistol in dark places.

There ... fixed it for you ... :teehee:

Latest posts

Top Bottom