how to check if a gun may be stolen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could someone set up a national data base to list the serial numbers and make of stolen guns, and the agency that took the reports number that way anyone could look up the number and check, If the gun was reported stolen then the law enforcement agency that took the report could be contacted?

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It used to be, I'd just call NCIC. Got the number from a buddy. We used it when buying old Harley frames and engine cases a lot. One day, they asked me for my commission number. Musta been a new policy. Anyway, I explained that I was just a regular schmoe, and that was the end of that. That was in the early 1990s. Got no idea now.

Got any police friends? That's what I'd do, if I was concerned. Get a bill of sale, DL #. One guy even took a picture of me. No big deal. I'm real pretty!

If you are really thinking it is hot, just don't buy it!
Just call the local pd and have them run it, perfectly legal, as long as they only tell you it’s not reported as stolen or it is.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just call the local pd and have them run it, perfectly legal, as long as they only tell you it’s not reported as stolen or it is.

Might be legal for OSBI...I don't know. It isn't legal to do that thru NCIC. I know of a few people who lost their access over stuff like that. As a supervisor I had to spot audit my shift's CBI/NCIC checks on occasion. You DID NOT want to get caught abusing that system.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought S&W model 19 from a pawn shop. Five months later they contacted me and told me it was stolen. Apparently it had been reported stolen twice. The original owner got it back 16 years after filing his report. The pawn shop made everything right.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. How did this happen is pertaining to someone pulling up an ancient thread from 2009? LoL!
I feel like necroposting is an intentional, particularly heinous crime. Its not like you can accidentally stumble across a thread 14 years old while cruising the forum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom