How to Criticize a Political Opponent Using List Persuasion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://blog.dilbert.com/2018/03/03/criticize-political-opponent-using-list-persuasion/

Posted March 3, 2018

I’m seeing a lot of “list” journalism now that is designed to paint President Trump in a negative light. The power of the list is that the more items on the list, the more persuasive it looks, even if the items are weak. Here’s a good example.

If you want to create a persuasive political attack list, be sure to include the following elements in various combinations.
  • Situations that could turn out bad but probably won’t
  • Imperfect situations that aren’t terribly important
  • A rumor that would be bad if it were true, but probably isn’t true
  • Words such as “stunning” and “death match” to convey badness without reasons
  • A misinterpretation of what your target said or meant
  • Intentional omission of relevant context including any positives
  • Expert opinions that the candidate who won the presidency with no political experience and had one of the best first years of any president (for conservatives) doesn’t know how to do things
  • Opinions based on mind-reading, such as “He only cares about one thing!”

The power of the list is that while each item is unimportant, false, overblown, or an obvious misinterpretation of intent, the sheer quantity of items makes it persuasive nonetheless. A list of five criticisms is better than three, and ten is better than five. It doesn’t much matter how solid any of the items are when viewed in isolation. Readers will remember the size of the list more than the items on it.

You see this method used with the Russian collusion narrative. Any one item on the list would mean little or nothing. It only looks persuasive because of quantity plus confirmation bias. Critics will chirp “With so much smoke, there must be fire!” But of course the critics and political enemies created the smoke, not the targeted politician.

I am often criticized for praising effective persuasion and leaving out the ethical dimension. I’ll do it again right here because I trust you to apply your own moral filter. I’m only here to tell you what works and what doesn’t. And this attack-list method totally works. President Trump isn’t the only persuader in the game. His opponents, collectively but not individually, have a great game too. Is their persuasion ethical and moral? I trust you to make that judgement without my assist.

I know most of you bristle at the thought that “the ends justify the means.” So don’t think of it that way. Think of it as benefits exceeding costs. And by that I mean I would lie to a terrorist to save your child’s life. I hope you would do the same for me.

We live in an imperfect world. It doesn’t help to pretend otherwise.​

Interesting reading.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dilbert?
assets.nydailynews.com_polopoly_fs_1.2646299.1464000273__img_h8a755988c181dc234b0ab6eaedefeeda.jpg

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many reasons for …
There is no doubt about it that …
I simply must agree with that.
I am of the same opinion.
I am of the same opinion as …
I completely/absolutely agree with …

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://blog.dilbert.com/2018/03/03/criticize-political-opponent-using-list-persuasion/

Posted March 3, 2018

I’m seeing a lot of “list” journalism now that is designed to paint President Trump in a negative light. The power of the list is that the more items on the list, the more persuasive it looks, even if the items are weak. Here’s a good example.

If you want to create a persuasive political attack list, be sure to include the following elements in various combinations.
  • Situations that could turn out bad but probably won’t
  • Imperfect situations that aren’t terribly important
  • A rumor that would be bad if it were true, but probably isn’t true
  • Words such as “stunning” and “death match” to convey badness without reasons
  • A misinterpretation of what your target said or meant
  • Intentional omission of relevant context including any positives
  • Expert opinions that the candidate who won the presidency with no political experience and had one of the best first years of any president (for conservatives) doesn’t know how to do things
  • Opinions based on mind-reading, such as “He only cares about one thing!”

The power of the list is that while each item is unimportant, false, overblown, or an obvious misinterpretation of intent, the sheer quantity of items makes it persuasive nonetheless. A list of five criticisms is better than three, and ten is better than five. It doesn’t much matter how solid any of the items are when viewed in isolation. Readers will remember the size of the list more than the items on it.

You see this method used with the Russian collusion narrative. Any one item on the list would mean little or nothing. It only looks persuasive because of quantity plus confirmation bias. Critics will chirp “With so much smoke, there must be fire!” But of course the critics and political enemies created the smoke, not the targeted politician.

I am often criticized for praising effective persuasion and leaving out the ethical dimension. I’ll do it again right here because I trust you to apply your own moral filter. I’m only here to tell you what works and what doesn’t. And this attack-list method totally works. President Trump isn’t the only persuader in the game. His opponents, collectively but not individually, have a great game too. Is their persuasion ethical and moral? I trust you to make that judgement without my assist.

I know most of you bristle at the thought that “the ends justify the means.” So don’t think of it that way. Think of it as benefits exceeding costs. And by that I mean I would lie to a terrorist to save your child’s life. I hope you would do the same for me.

We live in an imperfect world. It doesn’t help to pretend otherwise.​

Interesting reading.

I’ve frequently discussed and written about the purpose of discussion and argument among honest men. There are dozens of defined argument styles constructed to persuade audiences. There are formal courses and debate competition for those so inclined from High School through University Levels. Lawyers have a proclivity for this field. Herein ‘lies’ the problem.

The only valid object for argument is to discover the Truth. Anything deemed to be Truth based solely on persuasive argument is Abomination. An example of this would be an innocent man condemned by a Jury because of ‘Persuasive’ arguments by the Prosecution. Formally training anyone that wining arguments rather than seeking truth is an academic mockery.

Use of ‘Persuasion’ officially in jurisprudence, legislative functions, or contractual negotiations should be a high crime. Nay, a capital crime! If I was the Emperor, tigers would make a fine spectacle of those who betrayed this ethical principle.

Argument or discussion with terrorists, kidnappers, extortionists, blackmailers and their ilk should not burden an honest man with the same imperative of truth. These men are outside the law (lawless) and deserve no protection from the law, or from the retribution of honest men. The law, and justice, should not solely be the prerogatives of government. However, a man who exacts retribution on an offender should be able to prove just cause or face punishment for his crime against an innocent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom