How to hook up AC-power smoke detector?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an original that went bad and the replacement I bought has a different plug. Do I need to cut wires and swap out the harness OR is there a way for me to get exactly what I already had for plug and play???

ALSO, if I do have to cut, I assume I need to shut off breaker AND is the red wire on the replacement harness interchangeable with the yellow wire on the original?

ALSO is this low voltage/amps or is this dangerous? I HATE electrical work and lightening for that matter :)

IMG_1272.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have an alarm system? This can be determined if your system shows a trouble condition on the fire zone right now while it is disconnected. Are your smokes integrated into it or are they a builder's special to meet code for a new home?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are going to have to replace the plug. Make sure the breaker is off and that wife, kids, anyone in the house knows what you are doing and to l,eave the breaker alone, or tag it. Whatever keeps your eyes from lighting up the hard way.

And yes your wires should go white to white, black to black, and red to yellow unless you have a really weird one..

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have an alarm system? This can be determined if your system shows a trouble condition on the fire zone right now while it is disconnected. Are your smokes integrated into it or are they a builder's special to meet code for a new home?
I do have an alarm and I believe it is integrated somehow because one time we had a false carbon monoxide alarm from one of the detectors and it caused the whole house of detectors to beep. So from that I assume the answer is yes?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Get same brand detector with matching plug.
2. Change out connector on new detector with old one. (My preferred option, no worry of hot wire)
3. Cut off plugs and hard wire. (Least preferred)

Correct wiring is wht/WHT, blk/blk, red/yellow.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could use either of these: I'm not sure what the electricians among us would say about the second item. It'd be interesting to have them tell us about it. I've been thinking and there should be a separate plug-in/connection that you will connect to 120v then you can connect your smoke alarm to that plug. Look in the box it came in and I believe you'll find the wiring.

Attachments

• 41F1CC37-B144-4C5C-A2D8-048FF10568E8.jpeg
    41F1CC37-B144-4C5C-A2D8-048FF10568E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom