How would we petition to get the knife-laws changed in OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, Oklahoma's knife laws have always been sort of a gripe with me (every since I got into knives) and I'd like to make some attempt to change them (I don't have high hopes, but what the heck).

So, what's the process to get the current bill amended? I assume we file some sort of official petition (it is 2012, so I would hope we could do this online - I attempted to google, but there's a lot of legal jargon that I don't have any idea as to what specific type of petition we'd want), and then what - it goes before Oklahoma legislature... possibly hitting the floor as a bill-change/update and then if enough congressman/women want to move forward with it - it becomes a bill?

Here is the official state law regarding carrying of knives (the famous 21-1272):

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cgi/get_statute?99/Title.21/21-1272.html

§21-1272.

UNLAWFUL CARRY

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her
person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any
pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any
dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife,
sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of
the knife,
blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles,
or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or
unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational
or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by
statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1
et seq. of this title; or

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer
in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules
of the employing agency. Any person convicted of violating the
foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as
provided in Section 1276 of this title.

The Bolded-Red parts are what I would pull out personally (I don't know if we have any sword-cane fans in the OSA crowd), but I'm open to suggestions. I assume we would want the text to be agreed upon and perfect before starting to collect signatures.

I know we have some legal-minds on OSA, so if a fee needs to be paid to file, I'm actually willing to pay for it and sort of oversee this thing all the way to the State Capitol.

Would we have any sort of support from the OSA community if I took this on? It might involve actually having to sit at a booth at a gunshow and having folks sign this petition (I would volunteer to do that for every show I could attend on this side of the state).

What say you OSA?

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would support verbiage change. However I would prefer those with a CCW be allowed a switch blade. Simply because of background checks. Or a stipulation of a background check.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would support verbiage change. However I would prefer those with a CCW be allowed a switch blade. Simply because of background checks. Or a stipulation of a background check.

That was actually the other route I was considering going, but honestly though - why? What makes a switchblade more dangerous than a folder?

I just got my first OTF knife (a MicroTech) and it's really opened my eyes to some of the myths surrounding these things. For instance, did you know they don't come out with enough force to "silently assassinate" someone? Mine will barely puncture paper as it comes out and it honestly keeps it from firing all the way out (the spring-force only starts the process - it's all inertia after that with very little power).

When you consider self-defense as a valid reason to carry (maybe we need to add that verbiage - I don't know how that would fly), there really isn't a good reason to restrict "Daggers" either. For that matter, there are several utilitarian or recreational uses for daggers.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure VeggieMeat will be along shortly to fill in the legislative action details but the quick and dirty version is this: first, you have to get a legislator on your side that is willing to front the proposal and use staff to turn it into a bill. Perhaps approaching some of the OC legislators would be a good opening for the proposal. Second, you're likely already too late for the next legislative session that opens in February because the bills that will move forward have already had preliminary work done this fall in working groups. So, set your sights on the 2014 session to begin enlisting legislators to your proposal. Anticipate that it will not succeed the first time so you can adjust the proposal to get wider support. Note those legislators that are roadblocks and support their opposition in the next election while educating them as candidates.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was actually the other route I was considering going, but honestly though - why? What makes a switchblade more dangerous than a folder?

I just got my first OTF knife (a MicroTech) and it's really opened my eyes to some of the myths surrounding these things. For instance, did you know they don't come out with enough force to "silently assassinate" someone? Mine will barely puncture paper as it comes out and it honestly keeps it from firing all the way out (the spring-force only starts the process - it's all inertia after that with very little power).

When you consider self-defense as a valid reason to carry (maybe we need to add that verbiage - I don't know how that would fly), there really isn't a good reason to restrict "Daggers" either. For that matter, there are several utilitarian or recreational uses for daggers.

you are absolutely right, i have had a microtech and now own a couple of Gerber autos. They are no faster and often times slower than a Kershaw speedsafe assisted opening.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be all for it! It's a coincidence this was brought up. I JUST learned last week that there was a federal law passed in the 50's banning the manufacture and trade of switchblades:
Congress of the United States enacted Public Law 85-623, an
"act to prohibit the introduction, or manufacture for
introduction, into interstate commerce of switchblade knives,
and for other purposes," and sent it on to President
Eisenhower for his signature. Under this act, "The term
'switchblade knife' meant any knife having a blade which
opens automatically --
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in
the handle of the knife, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both."
The maximum penalty for each violation of this law was a
$2,000 fine and five years in jail.

It was supposed to curb "gang violence". Oh, the irony......

Latest posts

Top Bottom