How would you handle this situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be up front and say that this happened to me. With that being said, here is the situation as it unfolded yesterday.

As some of you know, I started a new profession last month. The tech that is training me knows the work but his people skills, from my experience and as stated by my manager, is less than professional.

I've been around a lot of different people and jobs, and have never been spoken to in the manner in which this tech speaks to and of me. From talking with other techs, this is common knowledge. I've tried to ignore the tech, but yesterday was all I could take. He informed that I was an f'n idiot, f'n moron and f'n stupid and a multiple of other adjectives. While in front of other people not related to our business.

I finally had my fill and told him that I was not going to stand for the name calling any longer and if it continued, I was going to leave the job site and call the manager. In between that, I told him I was going to kick his little man syndromes ass and put him in the hospital and probably be arrested.

He immediately backed down and started making excuses for his lack of manners and other inadequacies. He asked why I hadn't said anything before blowing up like I did. I had on multiple occasions asked why he felt the need to speak to me the way he had.

He tried multiple times to apologize, but I was in no mood to listen, that point was already gone. I finished up on the job site and left. I called the manager and left a voice mail for him to call me ASAP. After that the tech called me two other times apologizing for his actions.

All I am going to say about the conversation with the manager is I am going to have another tech on Monday.

Was there a better way to handle this situation?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was there a better way? Off course there was, we all know you could have kept your cool because that idiot tech is not worth it BUT I dont think you were wrong in doing what you did.

If the managers knows the tech is a jackwagon and he is not angry at you then this is a non-issue in my opinion. I would just stay away from the nut case as much as possible.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you did ok. A man shouldn't have to apologize for not taking crap. If he didn't want to give you a decent amount of respect, then you need to educate him more forcefully. Bravo. Or maybe you be like a liberal and talk to you therapist about it

Dustin98SS1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just hope he doesnt bring up the threats you made to him about putting him in the hospital. I'm sure HR would find that grounds for termination.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just hope he doesnt bring up the threats you made to him about putting him in the hospital. I'm sure HR would find that grounds for termination.

Manager is aware of what I said, and even told me not to quit. Which is what I told him if this is the type of training I have to do, I don't need this, I'd quit.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes people need to be told straight up what the deal is. Mostly because they've probably never been given any pushback any other time in their life. I've verbally knocked the sense into a few people in much the same fashion in my life and surprisingly most of them changed for the better.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes people need to be told straight up what the deal is. Mostly because they've probably never been given any pushback any other time in their life. I've verbally knocked the sense into a few people in much the same fashion in my life and surprisingly most of them changed for the better.

This ^^^^^

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cannot say I'd have acted much differently. If you brought it to his attention that he's being a cock and he kept at it, well, he got what he needed. I hope this works out well for you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been in your situation a couple of times.
I typed a solution to your problem, but its probably not acceptable is this PC stupid society we live in now.

So, new solution in my opinion is to confront the jerk and let him know that you cannot be threatened to loose your job. He obviously knows this by his repeated attempts to apologize.
I would not advise taking this anywhere but personal. If you persue this in the courts, you will win the fight but loose the battle. Okla is a "fire at will" state.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you did ok. A man shouldn't have to apologize for not taking crap. If he didn't want to give you a decent amount of respect, then you need to educate him more forcefully. Bravo. Or maybe you be like a liberal and talk to you therapist about it
My therapist says"sometimes ya just gotta punch the dumbaxxs in the mouth"..just be prepared for what comes next???

.Then She usually says something about." I would bring yo some cigs when I visit..Oh yea ..no smokin"

Latest posts

Top Bottom