How would you handle this situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably shouldn't have threatened him, but in all honesty sometimes that's just what it takes. As my grandpa would say, "you did good."

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
maybe he is frustrated because your not very good at the job, but still no reason to belittle you. I've been in the position of trying to train someone who just sucked at the job and every time i tried to get them to step it up they thought i was picking on them.not saying thats what happened ,but either way he shouldn't have called you names

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you played it right, like my old welding instructor used to say whenever your at a new place where people don't know you, you can't take no sh1t or you'll be given sh1t on a regular basis.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some bullies do like to push the envelope. Don't worry about HR. If they do try to push the issue, counter with the "hostile workplace" and the fact that it is widely known that the individual is a mouthly little jerk - so why didn't management correct the probelm in the first place?

R

rightside

I think you did well. I've seen this before. A bully(even a small one) will push as far as they can. The second you call them on it ,they back right off. He's probably had many other complaints to the supervisor. People with little faith in their own ability and low self esteem, try to bolster it by deriding others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wondering why the supervisors did not confront this guy as they obviously know of his propensity to cross the line. Ever heard the term "hostile work environment"?? By letting this tech talk to you that way day after day after day, in front of other people, they have effectively created a hostile work environment for you.

Hopefully, you will come out on top, but just in case ... get a notebook and start documenting. Write a general description of who, what, where, when up to this point and then start documenting specific dates, times, names, witnesses and conversations past this point. Nobody needs to know any of this ... it's just CYA for you.

I hope you don't wind up with the short stick but I've seen it happen before. Don't let any of them railroad you. I'll say a prayer for ya! The only thing worse than having to deal with a prick at work is being married to a prick ... blah!

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clearly this person was lashing out at you only because they lacked the attention and affection that they so needed in their childhood years. I can relate. I often find myself cursing hapless strangers and throwing half empty nehi bottles at them when they won't give me a hug. You should have bought him a Big Mac..and maybe a Slap Chop.

Last edited by a moderator:

AR-SHOOTER29

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of different ways to handle that kind of thing. I think everyone has their breaking point though. I probably would have done the same thing if it makes you feel any better. I will just take it and take it and take it then just lose it. I think you handled it the best you knew how at the time. Maybe that's all that guy needed. Don't sweat it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom