How would you handle this situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did the right thing, My boss's son comes in late every day and one day we had a 9:00 a.m. appointment when he came in at about 2 minutes til 9:00 and told me to go do the job, I said I am not going there late and taking flak because you were late! He responded with " I'm not asking you I'm telling you" I came unglued, I jumped up and got in his face and told him I would not be talked to like that. He tried to be tough and I told him I didn't have to have that job and I meant it and he said he knew that and started apologizing. He was wrong and knew it and his parents who own the business would have taken my side and he knew that too!! Sounds like the tech training you knew he was wrong too!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In hindsight I'm guessing it would have been best to give him some strong negative feedback the very first time he disrespected you. Not a threat but rather sometime along the lines of, "Look, respect is a two-way street. It's fine to correct me when I make a mistake but lay off the name calling. Mellow out a little and we'll both be better off." If he continues then up the intensity of the language. Threats of violence? A bad idea IMO.

Verdigris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of what I'd say has been said by others. I will add that, in my experience, life's too damned short to bear a grudge. There's a chance that if you come back and accept this guys apology you may find him a decent sort to work with. Sometimes it's fun to nurse a mad-on, but truth is it just eats at ya.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One to the hip?

Damnit!!!! Beat me to it.

Several years ago a couple of buddies and I were building something out back. One buddy was in this really negative place, and had been talking really $hitty to the two of us. I finally snapped and told him if he talked to me like that again I was gonna beat his head in with this hammer. Add a few colorful F-bombs in there for the actual conversation. A guy can only take so much. He apologized, and we went back to work. I don't think he realized how far he was going.

The mistake was not so much saying what you said (it's your word against his), but posting your threats on a public forum, making it factual, and documented.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you did fine. The only thing I would've left out was the threat of physical harm...everything can be turned against you these days.

My lead tech is the same way...belittles and cusses everyone, even the 65+ year old retirees that come out and augment our our jobs on a contract basis. I finally had enough one day and in a calm voice just told him very frankly "I am not one of your sons, I'm not your *****, I'm a grown man and you will speak to me accordingly." Then I picked up my tools and went back to work...

He bought all the beers that night back at the hotel and we've been a great team since then. Sometimes you just have to let someone know to dial it back...

Latest posts

Top Bottom