Hunting deer with an AR15 (magazine limit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I searched though the the forum here and found several past threads about hunting with an AR/.223 and the 7 round magazine limit, but I couldnt find anything or anyone that had ever spoke with the wildlife department or a game warden to get the specific details about this issue. I just now called the main office in OKC and my question to the guy I spoke with was "If I hunt deer with my .223, can I use my 30rd magazine if I take off the floorplate and put a plug in so it will only hold 7 rounds?" I didnt really get a specific answer. He said that the magazine can only be capable of holding 7 rounds and cant be changed out in the field. So then I responded, "So if I use my 30rd magazine with a plug, the floor plate would then have to be welded closed so it could not be changed out in the field? or do I specifically have to buy a 5 round magazine to hunt with?" He didnt give a direct answer, but basically said that the regulations do not say that you have to use a 5 round magazine, and its on a case by case basis, and just depends on the situationi and what the game warden sees or finds while in the field. So to me it seems that plugging the magazine should be fine, as long as you follow the regulations and laws and arent trying to change it out in the field to hold more than 7 rounds. And I wouldnt carry that much extra ammo with me either, otherwise I think that would look suspicious to a game warden. I dont have access to any sort of welder, but I think I may try putting some jb weld on the floor plate, just as an added measure of making it harder or not possible to change it out while in the field.

Just thought Id share that info with you guys and see what your thoughts are on this?

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont feel like spending $20 for something if I dont need to. Yea its only $20, but when I have 10 extra 30 round mags laying aorund and it only takes a minute to open the bottom and slide in a plug, then why not just do that? Then I can spend that $20 on more ammo!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should be like plugging a shotgun for migratory bird hunting. I think they would have a difficult time enforcing the idea that it "can't be changed out in the field", since most shotgun plugs can be removed in the field!

I have an AR magazine block, it is an upside down "U" made from metal strap that fits just inside the spring. Shouldn't be much problem to make one.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should be like plugging a shotgun for migratory bird hunting. I think they would have a difficult time enforcing the idea that it "can't be changed out in the field", since most shotgun plugs can be removed in the field!

I have an AR magazine block, it is an upside down "U" made from metal strap that fits just inside the spring. Shouldn't be much problem to make one.

ahh yea Buzz ur right, that was actually one of the examples that he mentioned as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That stupid law only applies to AR's chambered in 22 caliber.
I'm hunting with my AR-15 in 243WSSM, and I can legally have a 50 round mag if I want.
If you want to hunt with a 100 round drum mag in your 7.62X39 AK, your perfectly legal.

Hunt with a .223 and a 20 round mag, and its ticket time.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a big no no. I asked a game warden and he said no go.

well this is why i called the wildlife department headquarters in okc. ive heard/read so many different things about it, and he basically made it sound like it was ok. guess it all depends on who you ask. i wish they would all come to a consenus on this so everyone doesnt have a different answer!

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That stupid law only applies to AR's chambered in 22 caliber.
I'm hunting with my AR-15 in 243WSSM, and I can legally have a 50 round mag if I want.
If you want to hunt with a 100 round drum mag in your 7.62X39 AK, your perfectly legal.

Hunt with a .223 and a 20 round mag, and its ticket time.

Yep, try to explain the logic behind that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom