Hunting deer with an AR15 (magazine limit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i use a magpul 5rd limiter in a magpul 20rd mag

I looked at Magpuls site and it explicitly says their limiters don't make 20 rnd mags legal as 5 rounders where they are not legal as 20's. Might be liability related, and really I think most game wardens would have to be having a crappy day or you be giving them a reason to want to ticket you in order for the mag with the limiter to warrant you a ticket.

Not to mention it can be swapped without tools.

Can an AR be shot with a round in the chamber but no mag in the magwell? You could use it as a single shot if you were THAT concerned and didn't want to ruin an otherwise good high cap mag or spend on a 5 rnd.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it will all depend on the ranger. I know one ranger (Dennis knows him as well ) that would probably give you a pass. Another ranger from the same area that I promise it will be ticket time. This guy gives no breaks, period. Either way...good luck..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have to get an AR-10 to make a better impression on trespassers during deer season.
Had one of those. With a scope the dang thing was too heavy to cart up and down the mountain I hunt on. At least a M1A can be slung up comfortably. :thumb:

ETA: O/P I personally think the JB weld wasn't even necessary. If you only have the legal number of rounds in the mag, you are complying with the spirit of the law at least. Having about 5 more loose rounds in your pocket and this scenario shouldn't be ticketable IMO. Seems that it would be easily explained in court if necessary.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be hunting this year with an AR. From what I gather, as long as it holds 7 it is okay. I'm running 20 round Pmags with 5 round limiters. It's something I'm willing to gamble on, but for someone not willing to gamble, spend the money and buy the 5 rounders.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shadowrider, i agree. i think the jb weld probably wanst necessary, but i went ahead and did it anyway. i have several extra mags laying around that never get used, so i just went ahead and plugged the mag with a piece of pipe, put a screw through the mag and pipe, and put jb weld around the bottom so it cant be opened. im sure ill be using it for years to come, so its no big deal. i may eventually get a 5 round mag, but if u run in to poachers or road hunters and they see u with a 30rd mag in, i think it will help to get their cooperation a little more. hahahha.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
at the time the law was written ak's were not available in the US. (late 70's I believe)
most semi-autos you see today weren't allowed to be imported til 1984.
about the only guns available then were ar's and mini-14's so they figured they wouldn't be affecting that many people. especially when you realize back then there probably wasn't 2000 in the whole state and most were in the hands of target shooters and not hunters.

nobody has messed with this law because they are afraid the antis will get the upperhand and make it 7 rounds max. for all guns.

The laws weren't always written to single out .22 caliber rifles. They used to have a limit of 7rds across the board, I used to hunt with a M1 Garand and remember venting to people about how I had to go find a special 5rd clip..

I've been using a piece of leather inside my mags to limit their capacity, and find it hard to believe that they would ticket you for this. It's serving the same purpose as a shotgun plug, and both are easily removable in the field if you were so inclined... I've been checked by the Game Warden many times while out Duck hunting, every time I have to unload the gun and demonstrate that I can't load more than 2 shells in the tube.

This is exactly how I envision an encounter with the GW going down when deer hunting.. unload, show me you cant load more than 7 in the mag, have a nice day..

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of reviving an old thread but...

Does anyone have any experience with the AR15/M16 5RD Competition Magazine XTA by John Masen Co. Inc. currently FS in the classifieds? Are they good? I am thinking about one or two to comply with hunting regs.

Also, someone mentioned "5 rnd mags from Bownells", do you have a part number or something else I could reference? They sell a few different limited cap mags, Remington R-15 MAGS FOR $40:NO:, DPMS 10 rounders are another one I was looking at, and one other 5 rounder from an unheard of company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom