Hunting with a glock 20

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Hunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
•Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

I don't think a 45acp makes it.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
•Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

I don't think a 45acp makes it.

Have to read the whole thing.....

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four inches.

http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/deer-season/

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 million dead humans, and still counting take the AR out of the "varmint" gun class.
Personally I've killed over a dozen deer with my AR. Proper bullet placement, and the correct bullet will take them down quickly.

Well you make a good point, but lets not forget this.......When you say AR that doesn't restrict you to a .223!!!! My AR-10 is more than capable of handling just about anything in North America. I took it elk hunting last year!! Plus, companies such as Remington are offering AR's in all sorts of "non-traditional" AR calibers!!

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most impressive private collection of big bucks I know of was at a friends home in Alice Texas..If my friend was still alive he would gladly tell you that every deer in his collection was taken with a Remington 222...properly placed shot at a proper distance is pretty well the best recipe for deer hunting..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As soon as this isn't the internet anymore....

Man, isn't that the truth. Its amazes me that the internet hunters that never pulled a trigger on a certain caliber or use the wrong bullet in that caliber can have such strong opinions about what constitures a hunting round vs a Varmint round. After doing autopsies on over 200 deer with multiple calibers, multiple bullets, and multiple calibers, I feel that my observations about wound channels would hold more water than a bullet fired from a ransom rest into a block of gelletin, and read about on the internet.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
I'll let the "experts" lend their sage advice.

Oh Yeah! Perhaps the ones with all the "wisdom" could post some pics of said animals they have taken? I don't have a current count, but I'm betting I've got over 60 on this forum, and have been killing deer and other critters WAY before I joined OSA.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And almost TRILLION (yes, million million) rounds fired to get the job done, that puts it right back where it belongs - varmints. :P
The only thing that makes AR15/223 viable combat option is the "GO" switch - you arn't in combat nor you have the "go" switch.

You obviously have no combat experience. Its evident as you have no clue how a FMJ from a 5.56 can destroy human tissue.
I do.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obviously have no combat experience. Its evident as you have no clue how a FMJ from a 5.56 can destroy human tissue.
I do.

Your "personal experience" is clouding your objective judgement. You are reducing your argument to "talking down" and pulling some sort of "seniority" - either way it makes you sound ignorant.

223 is still a varmint round regardless of how many deer it has taken, I don't know why it frustrates you so badly - but it is a simple matter of definition.
It's no different than 7x57 NOT being a dangerous game round, regardless of how many elephants fell to it.

The only thing that's obvious is that 5.56 has it's limitations - and that's why 7.62 is still around.

"Combat operations the past few months have again highlighted terminal performance deficiencies with 5.56x45mm 62 gr. M855 FMJ. These problems have primarily been manifested as inadequate incapacitation of enemy forces despite their being hit multiple times by M855 bullets. These failures appear to be associated with the bullets exiting the body of the enemy soldier without yawing or fragmenting. This failure to yaw and fragment can be caused by reduced impact velocities as when fired from short barrel weapons or when the range increases. It can also occur when the bullets pass through only minimal tissue, such as a limb or the chest of a thin, malnourished individual, as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to yaw and fragment. In addition, bullets of the SS109/M855 type are manufactured by many countries in numerous production plants. Although all SS109/M855 types must be 62 gr. FMJ bullets constructed with a steel penetrator in the nose, the composition, thickness, and relative weights of the jackets, penetrators, and cores are quite variable, as are the types and position of the cannelures. Because of the significant differences in construction between bullets within the SS109/M855 category, terminal performance is quite variable—with differences noted in yaw, fragmentation, and penetration depths. Luke Haag’s papers in the AFTE Journal (33(1):11-28, Winter 2001) describe this problem."
Dr. Roberts

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a single mag today with my ar, and it was dead on point. I guess its the route that I will take this hunting season. No glock 20 for me. Thanks to everyone for there input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom