Hypothetically speaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the proper thing for the officer to do?

• Release the men

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Detain the men

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Detain the men and run serial number checks on their weapons

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did he do that has you so pissed off?

Trust me, dispatch seldom EVER fills the officer in on all the information. Going to a burglary call and showing up and seeing two people outside the house with guns bigger than what is at my immediate disposal is a no go. I would very cautiously approach and instruct them to lay their weapons down, and this would NOT be the time to tell me that: A) it's your house B) you have your CCW so it's "okay" C) anything... fact of the matter is, the most immediate threat is three armed individuals.

After figuring out what is going on, I personally (granted it depends on the totality of the circumstances) tell the three men to stay at the back of my vehicle (preferably with another officer), search the house, then come back out and talk. The LAST thing I would want them doing is standing outside ready to shoot the first person that walks through the door, whether they're a bad guy or not.

Would I run the guns? Probably not. Do I blame an officer that does? Nope.

Does that answer your questions?

He didn't do anything that pissed me off, the purpose of the poll was to try and get a few officers to maybe explain what the purpose of running the numbers on the guns was, the way the officer handled the initial contact was perfect but I thought it was a little absurd to run the guns and divert his attention away from the immediate situation after he confirmed that everyone was good. It seemed to me that it was about as logical as running the numbers on every person you pulled over who happened to be carrying.

And yes that does answer my question pretty well for your opinion. Thanks for being on topic

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He didn't do anything that pissed me off, the purpose of the poll was to try and get a few officers to maybe explain what the purpose of running the numbers on the guns was, the way the officer handled the initial contact was perfect but I thought it was a little absurd to run the guns and divert his attention away from the immediate situation after he confirmed that everyone was good. It seemed to me that it was about as logical as running the numbers on every person you pulled over who happened to be carrying.

And yes that does answer my question pretty well for your opinion. Thanks for being on topic

lol, no problem. :thumbup3:

Like I said, I probably wouldn't run them unless I had a reason to be suspicious, however I can't blame an Officer for doing it.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question.

Bit different scenario, but along the same lines. My neighbor's alarm is going off, I know he is not home, we live in a rural area with burglaries a common occurrence. I grab the 12 gauge 870 and walk over to the fence to look at his house, his sister lives on the other side of him and meets me in the yard. She informs me she has called sheriff dept (Tulsa Co.), I ask her to wait at front gate and tell deputy that I am around back with a shotgun. I walk around to where I can see the back door. Deputy arrives, she informs Deputy that I am there and armed, I come to front of house and meet him. He asks me to "back him up" as he checks the doors on the house and shop. We check doors and everything is locked up. He thanks me for watching his back, compliments my shotgun (extended mag tube, Remington LEO folding stock), and goes on his way.

No muss, no fuss, no show me your hands, no drop your weapon, no get on the ground, just a good guy doing his job. I think he really did appreciate me being there, and I would have gladly done anything I could to help if things went south.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, no problem. :thumbup3:

Like I said, I probably wouldn't run them unless I had a reason to be suspicious, however I can't blame an Officer for doing it.

I don't blame him for running them, but I hear all this talk about limited resources so maybe not running the numbers on law abiding citizens would be a good way to conserve resources.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question.

Bit different scenario, but along the same lines. My neighbor's alarm is going off, I know he is not home, we live in a rural area with burglaries a common occurrence. I grab the 12 gauge 870 and walk over to the fence to look at his house, his sister lives on the other side of him and meets me in the yard. She informs me she has called sheriff dept (Tulsa Co.), I ask her to wait at front gate and tell deputy that I am around back with a shotgun. I walk around to where I can see the back door. Deputy arrives, she informs Deputy that I am there and armed, I come to front of house and meet him. He asks me to "back him up" as he checks the doors on the house and shop. We check doors and everything is locked up. He thanks me for watching his back, compliments my shotgun (extended mag tube, Remington LEO folding stock), and goes on his way.

No muss, no fuss, no show me your hands, no drop your weapon, no get on the ground, just a good guy doing his job. I think he really did appreciate me being there, and I would have gladly done anything I could to help if things went south.

He should have drew down on you and cuffed you up and at least gave the burglar a chance to escape and then ran the numbers on your gun. You know treat it like the felony stop it was. :thumbup3:

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question.

That's a very bad idea and I'm sure his supervisors would NOT be happy to know that.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Care to explain why it's a "very bad idea"??

Because from the moment he "deputized" you by giving the ominous dominous... you became his responsibility. That means that every decision you make, good or bad, is his direct responsibility. To tell somebody that they can search a house with you (which, when done right, is a very tactical and methodical process) is asking for trouble. It's nothing against YOU, but one shouldn't just automatically trust somebody to be armed, walking through a house together. It's a liability, the least of which could cost the officer a real butt chewing... but could be as much as somebody dying when it's not necessary. Be it you, him, a bad guy, a kid that lives in the house... the owners puppy or cat... proper training is a must, people that aren't properly trained, there is no telling what they will do when presented with something or someone popping out of a corner.

Does that make sense?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes sense, but, we didn't search the house. We simply checked to see that the doors and windows were secured. There were no signs of forced entry and the doors were all locked. He would have had to break into the house to search it.

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because from the moment he "deputized" you by giving the ominous dominous... you became his responsibility. That means that every decision you make, good or bad, is his direct responsibility. To tell somebody that they can search a house with you (which, when done right, is a very tactical and methodical process) is asking for trouble. It's nothing against YOU, but one shouldn't just automatically trust somebody to be armed, walking through a house together. It's a liability, the least of which could cost the officer a real butt chewing... but could be as much as somebody dying when it's not necessary. Be it you, him, a bad guy, a kid that lives in the house... the owners puppy or cat... proper training is a must, people that aren't properly trained, there is no telling what they will do when presented with something or someone popping out of a corner.

Does that make sense?

Traxxis is spot on. A major violation of departmental policy and if his supervisor finds out, he'd be in deep poo. R'hack your sarcasm and somewhat shallow opinions on this topic, reflect an element of naivete. Law enforment is predicated on traning and safety, not casualness and shooting from the hip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom