Hypothetically speaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the proper thing for the officer to do?

• Release the men

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Detain the men

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Detain the men and run serial number checks on their weapons

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with containing the three people with weapons, until the situation is under control, and all partys are OK.

I know running a tag # is done on a regular basis, but running every gun SN just because the gun is there, leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling.

It could be stolen, blah, blah. But again, it leaves me uncomfortable.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. R'hack your sarcasm and somewhat shallow opinions on this topic, reflect an element of naivete. Law enforment is predicated on traning and safety, not casualness and shooting from the hip.

Really? I'm naive? You don't know anything about me, my sarcasm reflects my distaste for people completely derailing the entire original topic and thanks for letting me know that law enforcement isn't about shooting from the hip, all this time I thought it was. What is this training you speak of? Like playing Call Of duty on xbox? Safety? You mean like wearing hard hats and stuff? I'm kinda disappointed, all this time I thought the police casually shot from the hip.:nutkick:

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to ruffle your feathers "hack, as a retired cop, I was responding to your request for LE input. Then you decided to post sarcasm about my input. So be it, I'll back out of your thread and you can get back to your rat killing.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then start a thread about that, this thread is a question about, well we all know what the thread is about.

One good thing the homeowner and neighbors could have done is held the guy until the police showed up, the homeowner in question has alot of guns so the likelyhood of the intruder being armed when he left would be very good and there are alot of children in the area so the guy could have posed a threat to them.

Why would you think that the only option would be to shoot the intruder?
Is it impossible to detain him until the police arrive?
Why would you assume that every burglar is going to automatically run away and not be a threat?
What makes you think that the police are going to be able to protect everyone all the time?
Should the homeowner just went ahead about his business maybe ran some errands while he waited on the police?

I don't see what is so complicated about this question and poll.

1. Why would you think that the only option would be to shoot the intruder?

So...your going to throw down a long gun and tackle the BG?

2. Is it impossible to detain him until the police arrive?

If you wanted to detain him, then why call the police? Detain him, then call the police. What did you think the police would do when they saw three guys with guns? Give ya a hug.

3. Why would you assume that every burglar is going to automatically run away and not be a threat?

Common sense would tell you that most BG's don't want to be caught or confront 3 guy's with guns. He runs....you shoot him in the back = long and expensive trial.

4. What makes you think that the police are going to be able to protect everyone all the time?

I don't....you called them, then complained about how they did their job.

5. Should the homeowner just went ahead about his business maybe ran some errands while he waited on the police?

Nope. Go to the neighbors house, call the police, then keep and eye on the residence until the police arrive. Or, don't call the police, find and detain the BG, then call the police. See....not difficult.

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to ruffle your feathers "hack, as a retired cop, I was responding to your request for LE input. Then you decided to post sarcasm about my input. So be it, I'll back out of your thread and you can get back to your rat killing.

It has nothing to do with ruffled feathers, just respond to the original question, I would value your input as to what would be the proper way to handle the situation AFTER he verified that everyone was good. My original question had nothing to do with the officers response to the call or how inept dispatch is or anything other than how to handle the guns after the fact.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis is spot on. A major violation of departmental policy and if his supervisor finds out, he'd be in deep poo.

OK, if you read my last post where I stated that we didn't enter the house, just checked for forced entry and made sure doors and windows were secure, what should the deputy have done when he arrived and the neighbor informed him that I was there and armed??

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SO THE ONLY OPTION IS TO SHOOT HIM?

If you wanted to detain him, then why call the police? Detain him, then call the police. What did you think the police would do when they saw three guys with guns? Give ya a hug.
REALLY?

3. Why would you assume that every burglar is going to automatically run away and not be a threat?

Common sense would tell you that most BG's don't want to be caught or confront 3 guy's with guns. He runs....you shoot him in the back = long and expensive trial.

4. What makes you think that the police are going to be able to protect everyone all the time?

WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT THEM DOING THEIR JOB? I HAVE NOTHING BUT PRAISE ABOUT HOW HE HANDLED THE INITIAL CONTACT. I JUST DON'T THINK IT WAS NECESSARY TO RUN EVERYONES GUNS

5. Should the homeowner just went ahead about his business maybe ran some errands while he waited on the police?

Nope. Go to the neighbors house, call the police, then keep and eye on the residence until the police arrive. Or, don't call the police, find and detain the BG, then call the police. See....not difficult.
WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL QUESTION AND POLL?

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

REALLY?

WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT THEM DOING THEIR JOB? I HAVE NOTHING BUT PRAISE ABOUT HOW HE HANDLED THE INITIAL CONTACT. I JUST DON'T THINK IT WAS NECESSARY TO RUN EVERYONES GUNS

WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL QUESTION AND POLL?

I'll have to tell ya tomorrow......Big Daddy needs to go night, night. Take care.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He did not check and find out everyone was good. He checked and found out everyone was from the neighborhood and perhaps he even checked and verified there were no outstanding warrants for the arrest of these three guys. A quick look at an ID and a call to dispatch does not give the LEO a guarantee that the people are who they say they are or what is their criminal record/intent.
All he knows driving up is that possible criminal activity has been reported at this address. Three guys with guns will quickly be looking down the barrel of one of my long guns I carry in the patrol car. How we proceeed next depends on how they respond and how much back-up I have, nothing else will happen until I have some back-up on scene, so just expect to keep looking down the barrel of my AR.
Running the serial numbers is a minute or two on a radio and computer, not a huge waste of time or resources and may uncover that the 3 guys are not who and what they pretend to be.
Just because someone has ID, an SDA permit, and lives in the neighborhood does not make them automatically a good guy. What if these three guys are a jilted, abusive ex-husband who is under a protective order to stay away from his ex-wife and his two best buds/neighbors who think she done him wrong? They would have ID and a reasonable sounding story but still be participating in criminal conduct. Too many variables.
Does not matter who you are or what training you have had in the past, the officer does not know that when he/she arrives on scene and for their own safety they better keep a close eye on everyone and proceed with caution based on their skill and training.

As to the other situation of letting a neighbor back you up as you check all around a house, that is a big NO GO! For all the same reasons! We do not know who you are or what are your intentions. Much safer for me, you, and everyone else not to get you involved. Don't be offended, there are LEOs I know that I won't let back me up either. We will wait till more and better help arrives.

Latest posts

Top Bottom